1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shido Lion Battery, A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Android853sp, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Not sure where this sits but I'm sure El T will move it if neccessary. I have used a Shido Lithium Ion battery in my 853 for over a year and have been very pleased with it. So much so I invested in one for my 1098R but sadly after about 9 or 10 months it died. I returned it to the retailer who fought my corner with the importer who I am pleased to say replaced it without question. The point of this post is however that I learned the 3 year guarantee has a whole load of conditions and small print to be aware of. Significantly, the guarantee is invalidated by a number of things which include the use of a steady drain from something like an aftermarket alarm or tracker and they also don't like you to use the battery on a track/race bike. Forewarned is forearmed, I am impressed with the battery but not by the guarantee. Andy

2. why not a track/race bike?

3. I'm guessing down to the charging system or lack of. I know some bikes run a total loss/no charging system and the L/Ion batteries do not like falling below a certain voltage and have a finite number of cycles. Andy

4. Playing devils advocate for a moment your not pleased with a guarantee that says if you use it in a manner that is likely to break it , your not covered. It seems pretty reasonable , your warranty on an engine is void if you don't put oil in it. If you totally discharge the battery with an alarm you will break it and void warranty seems fair . I notice they paid out , presumably when you showed it was the product at fault not you , thats a good warranty IMHO. The product who replaces with no checks and balances just costs more again IMHO and playing devils advocate.

5. given that the bulk of modern day bikes have immobilizers and or alarms, some of which are factory fitted, I would have thought it reasonable to assume that a battery sold for motorcycle use would be fit for this. Like ya self im just spit balling but it does seem a bit pony to sell a modern technology bike battery that ain't really suitable for a modern bike

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The point of my post was to make people like me who can't be arsed to wade through pages of small print, aware that the product they are considering buying has a limited application. As Chizel eloquently puts it, the product is not really suitable for a modern bike, however good for the limited application it actually is. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  7. I hear ya, and the thread was good , they should make it clear your buying the battery because it its very light weight for the power it stores , has minimal memory and low self discharge, no maintenance but it comes with quite a few downsides these are generic its expensive because of its ingredients , it needs careful charging and discharge they do not cope with over charging and discharge , they really don't crash well. Good thread, cheers Chris

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just riding past when I saw this thread.

I have to say, there is nothing that would induce me to stick one of these type of batteries in any of my bikes.
    They don't like to be connected to a standard road bike due to the alarm, they aren't guaranteed for track/race bikes ... exactly what type of bike are they designed for?

Next time I see chizel, I shall pat him on the head :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Deep breath.

Lead acid batteries hate "damaging deep discharge" as it massively reduces their capacity and increases the future self discharge rate.

Lipo and such like battery technologies are so complicated that most applications have dedicated and individual power charging circuits to get the best out of them.
    Simply connecting a few cells in series and the placing them into a motorcycle battery shape will end in tears for some.
    Brilliant capacity vs weight, but technically considerably different to the lead acid battery that your motorcycle was designed for.
    Think about all technology that makes the modern electic car different to a milk float!

10. Doon't hold that breath, you can at a reasonable price buy lead acid batteries that will discharge to 95% many many times without significant impact. show me a lithium battery that likes air on the other hand ;-)

11. Likes air??

12. Last battery I bought the sales bloke informed me that most manufacturers will only warrant bike batteries for 6 months now.
    Apparently they were getting a lot back in the spring. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Which Lithium battery should I put on my 996 to save weight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Please be clear that.....that is to 10.95V and not 0.95V.
    The batteries put on motorcycles need to be kept topped up.

15. Stay away from Greggs...fatty.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I suggest a hearing-aid battery. Lightweight but at the same time, it won't harm your bike.

Obviously a lead-acid battery for normal motorcycle functions.

:)

The serious answer would be, "Depends on what kind of modified charging system are you installing on the bike".

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. It has the standard charging system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. As Loz says, your choice will be limited by the output of your charging circuit. If the Lithium family of motorcycle batteries are similar, charging voltage must not exceed 15v. The figures routinely posted here suggest that most Ducatis put out 14.**v so you should be fine with any major branded Lithium battery. My advice would be to not leave the battery connected between outings and store it somewhere relatively warm say above 12 or 14 degrees C. Andy

19. Of course it has.
    The point is that standard systems don't exactly produce the ideal charging conditions for lithium batteries.

20. To be fair, I've used a Shido on my 853 which is fitted with a standard road generator all last year and the battery performed faultlessly. The only issue I had is that the battery didn't like being left in a cold garage over winter. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information