1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shido Lion Battery, A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Android853sp, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Why are bike batteries such rubbish? I have just replaced the battery on my old VW Golf turbodiesel - it lasted for 13 years and the new one cost me less than £60 with a 3 year warranty.
    I rarely manage to get a battery to last more than 2 years on any of my bikes in spite of taking them off over winter and charging them at regular intervals!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I have Magneti Marelli LiFePO4 batteries on both my bikes.
    Neither have an alarm, as I don't think they really achieve an awful lot and I would rather use an alarmed disc lock because it is totally independent from the on board electrics.
    On the monster, it saved me 5kg .. that's a decent chunk and worth losing, in my opinion.
    I am slightly concerned about the chance of overcharging, should the reg/rec fail (it wouldn't be the first time, but previously it just boiled the old-school lead/acid jobbie)
    I've been considering either fitting a Shindengen mosfet reg/rec (most bikes fitted with lithium batteries from new seem to have these) or alternatively some sort of additional overcharge limiter .. but I don't know how to achieve the latter.
    Suggestions would be appreciated if anyone has any ideas

3. If you puncture the cells they burst into flames

To be honest my only first hand experience has been with model aircraft batteries but not heard bike batteries are different. I am only chewing the fat , I use them all the time but unless you want the shave that 1000th of a second off imho they are more hassle and risk than I can be bothered with especially as the garage is integrated into the house!

4. Last year I attend to an expensive Ducati that had a fire. It caused s fair bit of research.
    Many motorcycles have had issues with over productive generator sets.
    Excess current is dissipated in the regulator.
    Lithium batteries make the situation far worse.
    This poor rider nearly lost his bike and has since switched back to lead with no further issues.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information