1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoei X Spirit 3

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by comfysofa, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Anyone got one.? What do they think of it? I've got a Simpson lid at the moment which I love (had Simpson indy car lids for the last 20 years or so) but, my latest one's upholstery has worn through In record time and simpson have said they'll re upholster the helmet for a hundred quid which is great but in less than 2 years its full of holes so I'll get it done but keep it as a back up lid. I borrowed a mates grv years ago and was very impressed. At the time I had an arai giga and it fell to pieces....

So, don't think I'll be going for another Simpson as when I've complained bout the quality of my latest lid they've just ignored me so I'll be voting with my feet.... So its either x spirit 3 or bell race pro....

All the x spirit 3 reviews are good but wondered what anyone thinks.... Not salaried journo's paid to say nice things...

2. you should try a xlite 802rr. ive got 2 and they are the best helmet ive used. ive got an arai ducati stripes helmet but only worn it a couple of times as i much prefer the xlite.

3. Hmm.... Dunno.... Seen xlite but just don't trust it.... Dunno why though to be honest.... When it comes to lids I've always spent big... My last Simpson before this one took a hell of a smash to the front and I'm still here... Had 2 decent sized accidents in simpsons before that so I've always trusted them...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

4. Just looking at the xlite on their page.... What's the cooling like? I always remember the grv's cooling being amazing.... The arai's cooling was non existent.... The Simpson doesn't have any (bit of a pain but I could put up with it)

5. I have a x spirit 2 and it's great

Can't go wrong with a sheoi in my opinion but they're such a personal thing.

6. They are.... If I get a shoei it's a big of a jump for me.... I love Simpson indy car helmets as I've never seen anyone wearing one... Ever... Which suits me... My last but one Simpson (Street shark) I never saw anywhere ever... And in stark contrast 20 years later its in good condition.... Which is my point... I think QA at Simpson has fallen by the wayside...

Whereas if I get a Shoei... I know I'll see someone with one which in a strange way depresses me as I like to be individual..

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

7. My current lid.... A bit different which is why I like it!
    WSM_Bike_Nights_2016_09_22_image_252.JPG

8. Okay first off the new X Spirit III shell is slightly smaller than the X Spirit II so I have had to go for an XL instead of an L. The overall shape is different but still definitely recognisable as the X Spirit. Very comfortable when worn in the shop but not had the chance to wear one in anger because no-one locally has a Bradley Smith rep in XL. If you are not into MM or Bradley, graphics are limited although the Matt black has its appeal.
    My girlfriend wears the XLite 802RR Carbon and in her opinion it is the best helmet she has worn. Most recently that is comparing it to an Aria and an AGV. Light, quiet, fog free, very comfortable and with good vision. It does not however fit me. Andy

#8 Android853sp, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  9. Cheers - thanks for that. Im definately not a race rep person. Im not rossi, marquez etc etc and theyre not me so (another reason why i like to be indvidual) but the finish of the matt black one looks like itll mark quite easily so i thought about the Losail one (the light blue and red) but having said that even that looks pretty bland....kinda of a generic (we thought this looked good) type paint scheme....however the shape and finish of the lid itself look really good.

Again not sure on the xlite....from the pics they look a little cheap/plasticy so i think id have to pop into fowlers to take a look...

10. I changed from my Arai to the Shoei earlier this year as it was pretty heavy and wasn't impressed with the quality.

I am really happy with the Shoei though, I can actually lift my head up and look past corners now :tearsofjoy: also it's a nice comfortable fit.

Cooling wise its great when you get going, chin cooling is adjustable then you get adjustable vents on the forehead and top of the head.

I went for the red black and white colour scheme as it matches the bike :blush:

Silverstone 2016 3.jpg

11. Thanks very much - yes - does look good in that shot.! cheers. Ive kinda got a beef with Arai - i do tend to bear a grudge! 25 odd years ago when i bought my giga i did it on finance. Living in a bedsit (230 quid was a lot in those days!) but it was plasticy, the air vents didnt work - the visor clips broke twice....pissed off i was to say the least and never had one since...then, as i said i borrowed the grv and it was amazing compared to the arai...

12. I've got (currently) a Shoei Xspirit2. It was my spare helmet but has now become my no1 due to a massive off last year which nearly put me in the ground...
    The helmet I was wearing on that fateful day was an Xlite 802rr Carbon (Moto Gp colours) That helmet took a massive number of impacts and it saved my bacon.
    I would, without hesitation, recommend the 802rr as a fantastic buy.
    As soon as funds permit (long story) I will definitely be buying another.
    Great value for money, great spec, good ventilation, good enough for Chas davies, Danilo Petrucci etc
    The XSpirit III is nice but damn expensive and as much as I like it, It won't be on my head as the XLite is equally as good for 30/35% less £££'s.

Just my opinion but hope its of some use.

Bikerbits on ebay do good deals too if you phone rather than through greedybay.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. By the way, The 802rr is also what Stoner wears just badged as a Nolan.

14. I just recently bought the XSpirit3. Haven't done too many miles in it, yet, but so far I love it. Comfort, ventilation, visibility are all great. Don't know if I'd call it a "quiet" helmet, but it is quieter than the Aria RX7 RR4 it is replacing. I don't think a quiet helmet exists, though, when you're on a 996S with titanium Termignonis.
    Pin lock is included and works perfectly so far. No regrets in this purchase at all. BTW, I got mine in glossy black because of the fear of the matte one marking up too easily. It's still beautiful, but I do prefer the looks of the matt black.
    I just ordered the photochromic visor (one of the main reasons I went with Shoei). It hasn't arrived yet, but AFAIK, Shoei and Bell are the only two manufacturers that offer this. Anyway, IMO, you can't go wrong with the XSpirit3.

15. Ooh - is there a gloss black...i couldnt see that colour anywhere....? - the reason for the Bell choice again was that theyre a bit more unusual....i think im leaning that way (Shoei) at the moment....

16. Speaking as someone who worked in a bike clothing shop and have many good friends in the trade I've tried lots of stuff. X-lites are fantastic, will probably be getting a Nolan Stoner rep next year myself, Shoei are always good and I have a X-Spirit 2 Kagayama which is great, and of course Arai, I have a Chaser which I wear for commuting and karting.

Speaking honestly I know Simpson are good for car stuff but as a bike helmet in terms of what makes them technically good, they are terrible! The fit and finish being one of those things but the complete lack of peripheral vision that they offer is probably the worst thing. There was a time 15 years ago when the streetfighter seen was first big where every man and his dog wanted one and if you like them then fair enough.

I do think you will be blown away by the vision and quality of something like a Shoei, however u don't need an x-spirit unless u wear ear plugs.

Race helmets like Arai RX-7 and Shoei X-Spirit are designed for racers who wear earplugs and require as much air flow as possible so if u want a more road suited one then look at the upper-mid range ones as they are still really strong and with great features.

Speaking honestly from experience and I do not mean any offence, anyone if the Shoei/Arai and X-lite helmets are just so much more capable as a motorbike helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Ive never found the peripheral vision thing to be a problem and, ive never gone for the bandit/stig style helmets. If it wasnt for the thing falling apart internally id be a happy chappie. As i said im just a bit pissed off that theyve not responded to my complaints, plus all the other simpsons ive had have been brilliant. Im gonna get this one re upholsetered by them but keep it as a spare.

18. Burndownthediscos has just had his Shark replaced under warranty which is pretty good of them so maybe throw them into the mix as an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. A lad at work had a shark lid - the strap failed along with the side mounting point for the visor - they wouldnt replace it....so that put me off them. Period.

20. Again - its a very "perceptions" thing for me....i always class Shark lids as being 59.95 specials....Simpson, Arai and Shoe have been around for ever - but saying that Arai ive never had a good experience with and now Simpson...so i am contradicting myself to a certain extent....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information