1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Should I Shouldn't I Buy One?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Gregd, Mar 15, 2017.

1. So I'm thinking of changing my BMW F800GS for a 2013 Multistrada. I've been offered a deal on one with 11500mls on the clock with 'touring kit', I don't believe it's the S model though. Is there any particular issues I should be looking for and what are your thoughts on the basic model v S version?

Thank in advance.

2. If its got all the dealer stamps, you pays your money you take your chances. I have kept my f800 as a winter hack'

Good luck with your choice, they are very quick!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. I changed from triumph sprint to 2013 multi gt best thing ever done it is brilliant do long two up tours it great but when you wanna blast it is wicked really stonks on mine is the s though so has the skyhook suspension but from what I hear the 1200 non s is still brilliant handling machine and stil got same engine

4. Like any Ducati, service history, stamps, recalls all in order and the condition/price right, why not :upyeah:

5. I have a 2013 s model. Love it. If the price is right you should be ok. Is it much less than an S model? Plenty out there to choose from. I spent a long time looking till I found the right one.

Regards Steve

6. I have a 2010 s ive owned it for 5 years and put 9000 miles on it so far. It always amazes me how confident it makes you feel. It's turn of speed and agility is spot on.
    True it's not the best for town filtering but the positives out way the negatives by far.
    I bought it from Ducati Mcr with full service
    History and have taken it in when recalls where brought up. One thing though, don't buy a camper van, it seriously eats in to "my bike time" ;)

7. Thanks folks, to be honest the more I look at others the better the deal seems to be. My main concern is the big service due at 15k, what could I expect to pay?

8. I paid just over £700 for my 15K service, but I have to say it was worth it, I've had the bike from new and changed the Exhaust 2 weeks in, and that felt much better to ride, but after my 15K service the bike just seemed so much better again, I dont know what the mechanic did but you could tell he'd done something.

9. Had my 2010 MTS1200 for a couple of months....it's an awesome bike. It will be so far removed from the F800 GS but don't let it put you off. Big service is about £400 from an independent....depends on what it needs, but doesn't happen often. Look after it and it will be as reliable as any other bike. Can't wait to get away on a trip. I have even commuted around London on mine past couple of days as weather is so good. They area an absolute bargain at the moment. Maybe the S would be good, but I am OK with ordinary suspension.

10. I've got a 2013 multistrada standard. I love the bike, just get the suspension setup by a professional. Maybe it's even better then the skyhook when properly setup, at least when you ride solo or whatever you had it setup for.

Get some heated grips and the panniers, and you will have a great sporty tourer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks again for the comments, been for a look at the bike today but it was lashing it down so didn't take it for a ride. Had a sit on it and it felt good but could just do with being an inch or so lower, I suppose a lower seat would sort that. it looks nice and clean and has a full history with the last service stamp at 6900 MLS. It's had 2 owners and originally came from Hyside Romford. Has panniers, heated grips and center stand.....I think I'm talking myself into it

• Like Like x 1
  12. You can lower a bit, depending on your riding style. Lower thru the yokes a bit then soften rear preload, or even move the eccentric hub and make the bike flatter. Note it will affect how it rides...or lower seat, or if you are having to get another seat I'd be tempted to have it slimmed on the sides instead. The DVT seat is narrower and makes quite a difference :)

Or do what I have done; learn to hop about one footed ;)

13. I have the 2013 GT with all the touring kit which i bought just over 18 months ago from Ducati Norwich with the service at 7500 all done despite the bike only having 5000 miles on the clock.

18 months on the mileage is now 23600 and the bike has been ridden all year round through 2 winters (home ACF coated), commuted on every day and done 6000 miles round Norway in 2 weeks including a few hundred miles of gravel roads and rock strewn loose mountain tracks with full luggage

I have had wheel speed sensors at both ends fail, fuel tank sender fail (they all do) and a constant struggle during winters low temps with engine oil milking.

I have had 2 sets of fork seals go and last 15K service cost me just under £700 at main dealer but next one will be done at a local independant as it will be coming up quickly

I love the bike, its fast, comfortable for all day riding (860 miles in a day done more than once) ..... the maintenance is more than any Jap bike i have owned but thats the trade off for the plus points IMO

• Like Like x 3
  14. fantastic post :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. I have a 2013 S model with 18,500 on the clocks – bought it last year at about 12,000 miles. Best bike I've ever owned! My 16,000 mile service was £1,000 but it included new brake pads and a few other bits. It's never gone wrong, always put a smile on my face and does two-up almost as well as solo riding.

It's one of the best built bikes I've ever had too.

Unfortunately I've been told to buy a house so it's for sale on eBay ;) Open to offers – but I'm about to go out for a quick ride on it and will inevitably decide it's too fun to sell. Then I'll have my ears boxed by someone and told to get rid…

16. Wow if my wife told me to get rid. I'd have her suitcases packed and ready to go, I worked hard for my bike and I think I diserve something I can call my own that gives me so much of a buzz every time I start it. tell her to get rid of her shoes make up and dresses see how she feels.

17. Sure, but a bike is just a thing that's tying up money and my sensible head says getting on the property ladder is more important right now. I'll get another one once I've moved away from London and insurance isn't £2500...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HOW MUCH!!!!!.....Move to North Lancashire, edge of the lakes, great biking roads and 5 bed house for the price of a 2 bed flat in London....and insurance around £150

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Indeed a wonderful bike , but I wouldn't buy a non S model
    There is a big difference in my opinion , it just isn't the same experience

20. lol I live on the edge of the lake district, I even work up in the lakes, It's aweful having to ride the 50 miles to work and them 50 miles home after, and the morgage is so hard to keep on top of all £235 a month, and look the senery is just disgusting. I dont think I can cope for much longer.......... IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0701.JPG IMG_0161.JPG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information