1200 Sidestand Bolt Failure

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by doughnut, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Just thought I would let you folks know of my recent issue with my multi 1200 GT 2013.

Basically i was out on a trip round Scotland, with some mates. On the second day after putting the bike on the side stand after it being on the centre stand overnight, i noticed it leaning like crazy.

Anyway, took it to Ducati Carlisle, which was the closest, to my horror they found the side stand bolt had sheared off [​IMG]

Just looking at the bolt its clear the Ducati OEM part is rubbish, far to weak for such a large bike.

Anyway, decided to get my local machine shop to make me one that would be stronger, see the result below

[​IMG]

New design on the left, clearly. Notice the OEM on the right has been cut right in, to create the thread.

The bolt has been made as a direct replacement and also has the switch screw thread inside the main head too.

Fits perfectly and seems very robust. Time will tell but I'm feeling quite positive, as the shop have used the best grade steel for the purpose.

I got them made for me, but the machine shop have the pattern and can make them quite cheaply now. However, it would be easier for them to run a large ish quantity, like 20. They will cost £10 per bolt plus postage of probably £1.

Please let me know if these are of interest.

Ah I forgot to mention, I am not sure what other Ducatis they will fit, but it works on my 2013 GT, so might be worth checking with your dealer first.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you will know if the bolt is not good, when there is more than a couple of mm of lateral play if you try to pull the stand in and out. The only tools needed to fit a new one are 8mm and 14mm ring spanner, i'll be carrying my spares every trip now, just in case.

Cheers

Alan

2. Interested at £11

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Plus one from me.

4. Count me in

5. Yep - interested but would appreciate if someone could confirm there's no difference between the 2012 and 2013 models? I'd expect them to be same as Ducati aren't exactly renowned for making improvements unless forced (and this is one of the first times I've heard about this happening) but.........

...I'd rather not come back to find it lying on its side for the sake of £11 (which is less than it cost for quick trip into the congestion zone by motor today by the way......:mad:).

6. My 999 stand has more free play than I'd like and the bike leans a lot when on it. However, the nut does seem tight or would it anyway?

I wonder if this would fit lots of Ducatis?

Could you elaborate on the 2 or 3mm of play when trying to pull the stand in and out please - do you mean pulling along the length of the stand as though you'd removed the bolt and were trying to pull the stand from its location?

7. @doughnut

Alan,

Might be useful to see if you could put a 'Yes' or 'No' counter on to this thread (like voting)? I've never tried so don't know if it's possible but it would allow you/us to see how many people are interested and when the magic 20 mark has been met?

@Rob - easy done?

All the best, Mark

8. Im in also

9. Done Mark, good idea, I've added a poll at the top of the thread, when it gets near to 20, i'll get them ordered. Also worth noting for the metallurgists, my bolt in the picture is not Zinc plated, but the units you will have, will be :smile:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. With the bike on a paddock or centre stand and the side stand down. Face the bike on its left side and push/pull the stand toward and away from the bike/you. If there is more than a couple of mm of play, then your stand lugs are opening up, which means the bolt is loose or it has sheared like mine had.

11. Count me in for two please!

Thanks in advance

Deaks :)

12. If it fits a DVT I am interested.

13. Count me in as well, ive voted yes to be included

Funny I noticed my bike seems to be leaning more than I thought it used to when I put it on the side stand of late

Best get them made up quick!

14. Add me to the list please

15. Added my vote +1 above. I only put the centre stand on for touring, and it does seem to be leaning over rather far on the side. Jon.

16. In the parts list for a 2010 MTS1200, the part is described as "PIVOT", part number 82111031A. By 2014 it is described as "AXLE SIDE STAND", part number 82111032A. It looks similar, don't know what the difference is. The parts list for 2015 DVT models is not yet readily available.

I only recently replaced the "Pivot" on my 2011 MTS with a new standard part, because the old one was looking a bit worn, so not really looking to replace it again so soon. Still, more power to your elbow, @doughnut for helpfully trying to improve weak parts.

17. Please can I have mine gold plated?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Yes, of course, if you ask your dentist, I'm sure they'll assist you ;)

19. My dealer checked the bolt, checking what bike the part number can be used on.

Seems it will fit the following:

All 1200 Multistrada inc the DVT 2015 model
    1098 All models
    848 All models
    Hypermotard All models

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information