1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Smallest Replacement Lithium Battery

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by lukefrs, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Does anyone know of a replacement lithium battery for 1199 that is greatly reduced in size???
    Have very limited space and the battery in am using seems to be hit and miss.

Also can anyone tell me if cold weather effects lithium batteries?

Thanks

2. I have a Shido LTX-14BS which measures approximately 150(l)x87(w)x95(h) for my 1098R. Andy

3. Hi Andy I can only use a battery of this size- Screenshot_20170211-231256.png

4. Mmmm, that's why you're struggling, 2Ah isn't enough. Shido do a very similar battery but I don't know how it would compare to the one you already have. My 1098R isn't that happy with a 4Ah battery even with ExactStart cables which have made it a lot better than it was. Andy

5. Ah is not a measure of capability of turning an engine, CCA is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. But it is an indication of how long it will crank for and how long it will take to recharge.

7. The YTZ5S has half the CCA of the LTX-14 BS, 120 v 240. So the answer is still the same, the OP's battery isn't man enough for an 1199, especially in cold weather. Andy

8. I have to disagree there. When different technologies are taken into account the CCA can vary in a big way. For example a wet battery of 28 Ah has about the same CCA as a 16 Ah AGM, and a smaller Lithium (in Ah) can also have the same CCA. You are correct in the bet on how long it will take to recharge, but not how long it will crank.

9. Morning
    Problem I have is that it's not consistent.
    Sometimes it starts no issue,other times the battery will show full charge and as soon as i turn the key the battery will indicate empty....

It does seem to be when it's cold that I have the issues. Use the bike all summer no problems.

Ah is the length of time a battery will hold a charge isn't it?? In work the drills with larger ah batteries just last longer,they're not more powerful.

What is the spec of a original 1199 battery?

I have found one that will fit and has 215cca???

10. That's a lot better than the one you are currently using. L Ion batteries are notoriously poor performers in cold weather. I have refitted a lead acid battery for riding during winter months. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maybe this is my problem.
    I am using it due to corse battery tray and it's the battery the sbk uses. But maybe they store they're batteries in warm conditions etc..

Like I say it does seem to be a running factor that it fails when the weather is cold and maybe it's been sized soo small that only a slight condition change or anytime get other 100 percent will not turn the bike over.

12. Out of curiosity, what do you gain from the Corse battery tray ? Andy

• Like Like x 1
  13. Apparently lithium batteries perform better in cold conditions if you first "wake them up" by, for example, switching the headlight on for a short while before trying to start the bike.
    Presumably its also a good plan to switch the headlight off again before you actually stab the starter button.
    I don't understand the tech reasons why this is so, but it seems to be the accepted wisdom.

2Ah does sound like a particularly low charge capacity though ... I wouldn't fancy it.

I have two, Magneti Marelli lithium batteries on my bikes.
    The smaller one, fitted to my Honda Dominator is their MM-ION-5 and produces 190CCA.
    The larger one is MM-ION-6, produces 290CCA and is fitted to my carby 750 monster.
    Both are a similar size to your quoted figures (I could measure accurately if you need).
    Both are relatively new though, so I can't comment much .. but the monster has never failed to start on it.
    They both also have a handy, 3 led charge indicator built in, so you can roughly check their state of charge.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I also have a Magneti Marelli on my 848. I have never seen the charge indicators as the battery is well hidden. It weighs about 600 grams. Never had any problem starting at any time of the year, but the 848 switches its headlight on as soon as the ignition is on so "wakes" the battery before the bike is started.

15. No gain from corse battery tray Andy,just a lighter wallet.it was more a case of it had to have it because I was building as close to a sbk as I could(well I still am)

The two batteries I have been using also have the 3 LED indicators, this is what's telling me the battery drains when I turn ignition.

I may try the temperature angle first
    And get multimeter on it to see what power it's taking from the battery when turned on.

Then I may try a larger CCA battery but as stated space is extremely tight

16. Other battery showing full until key is turned then it's just clicking.

17. Sorted
    Battery kept in house at 15-20 degrees and bike fired straight up.
    The battery must be sized so close to not firing the bike that any imperfections will cause it to fail

Multimeter was showing 13.2 with ignition on and 14.2 while running

Do Not Sell My Personal Information