1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Smoke On Start Up?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Deano84, Mar 26, 2017.

1. is it normal for an 1199 to smoke a little when started from cold? I've seen that they did it when new but mines on 5k, if I blip the throttle a little 2-3k when it's heated up to 45/50 degrees it's more of a blue than white smoke (oil) and smells like a 2 stroke! Having only just got it I'm not sure if it's always done it.
    It has termi slip ons and was serviced before I collected it and the oil levels on the max. Just thought I'd check here before ringing the dealer, if it's normal I won't bother.

2. Mine always steams a lot on start up, definitely not smoke though.

Get it looked at, if it's smelling oily or you're getting proper smoke. Might be the rings or something.

3. Common on early 1199's some stopped smoking after a few hundred miles and some always smoke, note it smokes only on start up and should stop when it's warm, I believe they changed the piston rings on later models .

4. Mine smokes when started after a long lay up - 1 - 6 weeks. Last about 30 seconds and goes away once the temps are showing 40c+.

Definitely not blue or black, just grey white and odorless so I'm guessing just moisture in the exhaust system through condensation.

Once it's been ran up to temps the smoke on start up is completely gone until a long lay up again. There's even a few youtube videos of Ducatis smoking on start up, plenty out there that do it.

Hope that puts your mind at rest

5. My first Pani used to smoke on a cold start, it's fairly common for the early motors.

6. Needs a jolly good thrashing

7. ...said the actress to the bishop!

8. Blue smoke is oil as you've said.

My previous 1299 did this almost every start. From new and still at 1400 miles when I sold it. Apparently normal.

9. Mine did from new, but as previously mentioned it stopped after a while. I would get it checked out as after 5000 miles the rings should be well bedded in.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information