1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sp5 Import?

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by RON, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Hi
    Can any expert out there tell me if the UK spec SP5 came with MPH speedo. I ask because there is one available but has had speedo change from Km to MPH at some time and he claims it's UK spec. I doubt this as every UK Ducati I have owned had MPH and it's a legal requirement. Also is there somewhere I can check on SP history. The limited edition No on the yolk is 048.
    Thanks

2. I don't know about uk spec Ron but I've had two sp5s and an SP4 and all of them had km speedos with stuck on marks for miles per hour on the glass face. All of them passed mots and the SP5 I kept still does! Better to make sure it's a proper SP5 than worry about the speedo I'd say....good luck!

3. Hi thanks.b All understood, I'm sure they pass the MOT but pretty sure for a new UK import from factory it must be MPH. It's legal for a used import first registered abroad to retain Kph but must have stickers etc. Thanks

4. That's true now Ron but this is a 22 year old bike, not so convinced mph speedos were necessary back then...? Someone like Mr R will probably know

5. Ah yes you may have a point. I shall await Mr R. In the meantime if there was a registry of SP5 numbers that would help if anyone knows of one.

6. Don't know of an SP5 registry but if you find one, let me know

7. I have a dim distance memory of some early bikes coming with KM only regardless of market.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. RON join the 888 851 forum loads of good assistance there
    As previously stated Mr R is a bit of a guru and I'm sure he will be along to help.
    I have an 888 but I am not aware of a register but others will know better
    Mine had a Kmh speedo

9. So a low miles, mint 3k bikes is now 12k min and £16k still. Will need a full service and re-commsioning, having not been used since 2009. Could be an expensive money pit IMHO. Nice tho :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. My 748R has an MPH clock yet the odometer rolls over in KM. I believe my bike may have originated in France and was imported new by Ducati main dealer then the clock was refaced. As far as I'm concerned my bike is UK and I have the history going back to new registration. Bonus is the mileage is much lower than what it actually displays. I think limited edition Ducati's were sourced from overseas from time to time to meet demand.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Yup, I thought that. His reply to me was, "It's a UK bike, I think, but not sure". Eh? mmm, I need to dig deeper. Tried to email Ducati but that's just so difficult. I'm sure they could tell if 048 was UK or Euro.

12. That forum/site seems to be discontinued, I can't seem to get anywhere near it or get it to open?

13. Not sure if Ducati will know what LTD Ed No's went where. They can certainly confirm engine numbers match VIN numbers. I have confirmation regarding mine. The registration prefix also matched the area it was first registered which ties in with where it was purchased according to my service book. FE (Forest and Fens) Nottingham/Lincoln. Is it possible to do the same for the SP5 you are looking at? Could try to find the original Dealer?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. IT seems to come and go,had what is showing now a week or so ago too.Keep checking in I'm sure it will be back,really informative site of which Mr R is probably the most knowledgeable but also similar guys from across Europe so a comprehensive understanding of 888 851

• Like Like x 1
  15. I've owned 1991/92 and 93 SS's, Superlights and 851/888's and they all had MPH speedos. If it was officially imported by the U.K. Importer which from memory was Moto Cinelli at the time it should be on MPH. There were other companies bringing them in with KPH like Carnell, but that was slightly later.

I think that SP5 was bought to complete a collection, I don't think he was that interested in the history ?

Nice bike all the same but £16k They struggle to sell at £13k

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. You're out of date Tricolore, sp5s have been selling north of £16k over the past 24 months and some over £20k. A £13k price tag is a five plus year old price. My recollection is that all sp5s are kmh speedos but as i said Mr R will probably know for sure....

17. Hi Ron
    I used to own an 888 SP4 , the speedo was Km/h. It is my understanding ( but I stand to be corrected ) that all 851/888 SP variants came out of the factory with Km/h clocks . The bike was listed on e-bay before Christmas , but I dont think it met its reserve. I think the guy selling it, had or still has a large collection of very exotic / rare Ducatis , so I would guess he must be pretty clued up on them.
    Lovely bike to own.
    Kev

• Like Like x 1
  18. Not sure he is. Could just be a fan with deep pockets. Although his email address speaks volumes ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information