1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare Shim Register & Exchange

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nasher, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Morning all.

I've just got home from Snells in Alton having dropped in for some bits and pieces including a few opening and closing Valve Shims for my mongrel 900SS engine I'm building.

I nearly fell over when I discovered the cost of them, @£24ea!!!

They didn't have any of what sizes I need in stock, so I need to pop back next Saturday to collect them.

When I've Finished my heads and know exactly what I have left over, I'll work out an easy way to create a register that members on here can use to see if another member has spares of the size they need, either on an exchange or sale basis.

I don't even mind actually keeping a few in my workshop if other members want to sell them to me for a very reasonable price, or donate them, so I can then exchange them with other members as they need them for the cost of postage.

Nasher.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. What a great idea

3. Great idea Nasher. Don't need any myself but with the number of people looking at this forum you should be able to get something up and running. Good luck.

4. Thanks Mr R, it's another good option for those of us who like to do these things at home.

Snells did say to me that if they do the checking in their workshop they supply the shims on a 50% cost exchange basis.
    Thinking about that on the way home, I thought if you were to drop in just the heads off the engine it could be cost effective, as the reduction in Shim cost could cover the labour charge.
    But of course getting somebody else to do it is far less satisfying than doing it yourself.

Nasher.

5. Just a thought as it's been discussed in the supersport section about coming up with a shim exchange service on here.
    I have already offered to do exchanges for shims In the supersport thread with my own kits which is a bit limited.
    If members with surplus shims or who have their own kits with duplicates or more (like me) to pool them, send them to me and try and make a decent assortment....

I'll be happy to run the 8mm opener and closer shim exchange.

If it comes together simply tell what size opener or closer shims you need and if available I'll exchange for the no longer needed ones, just cover the postage cost.

Seems quite simple in theory... What do you think??

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1njZ4CLXm3VyUFK4xc_H9Zt9u9TQL44Yjcw7G8PCndqY/edit?usp=sharing

#5 Pauldonjuan, May 15, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Good idea.

7. I have a small collection of both 8mm and 7mm shims but I'd be happier to hang on to them, together they are a sizeable investment.
    What would be better would be a database of who's got what. Then if I needed a particular size I could look up the database, see if anyone had the size I needed and was happy to swap it.

• Like Like x 4
  8. @Ducbird any chance of making this a sticky thread, pinned to the top please? Also if the word exchange can be added to the title.

Just as background Viv, the OP is prepared to swap valve shims on a one for one basis, as are others, so people doing Desmo services can get the shim size they want and save money. Seems a useful service for all Forum members to me:upyeah:

TIA

#8 West Cork Paul, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. There we go :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. It would be really good if someone wanting shims can simply look on a data base and see what's available and who has them..
    Is there a way of creating a data base that members can upload what they have availabie? Or is the way to go for members just to reply to this thread with what they have or sizes they want?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Probably the latter would be good

12. Although I think a database would be better somebody would need to administer it and keep it up to date. Members posting on this thread should be ok as long as it doesn't get clogged with off topic replies and banter the way many threads do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ok brilliant. So if you have any opener or closer shims that you’re willing to do exchanges with please post up what you have and the sizes........
    They can be for the 7mm or 8mm valves.
    Please let us know :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. I will delete them

• Like Like x 3
  15. I have available
    8 mm closers 7.00 6.65 6.60 6.30
    8 mm opener 3.50

#15 Pauldonjuan, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. I did a stock take yesterday:
    Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 12.05.05.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. I'm after some 8mm shims if anyone has them.
    Closers, 6.20 6.40 6.70 6.80
    and a 4.00 opener.

Great if anyone has these to exchange..

Cheers.

18. I was wondering when 7mm valves would be included ....:)

Great plan BTW .... always nice to see someone take the initiative ... :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Great idea!
    i have put together a Google spread sheet that anyone can view populated with the info already supplied by @Pauldonjuan and @Derek
    It contains 4 separate tabs for 7mm & 8mm opener and closer shims

The Sheet Can be viewed Here

I will populate it with the rest of the standard sizes for each type of shim over the next few days

open editing might end up being a mess, so If folk want to add their shim collection, pm me for a link to edit the sheet

if a few others here are willing to administer it for those who cant work a spreadsheet i think it could turn into a useful resource

#19 funkatronic, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  20. Good idea @funkatronic :upyeah:

I'm happy to help administer that if you're not around (although I don't have any shims other than what's on the bikes, but this whole thing is a great idea as shims will be required one day for sure).

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information