1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Spark Plug Issues

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Scotty-vr46, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Hey folks my bike is only firing on the one cylinder, narrowed it down to the from cylender, iv ordered a set of plugs however I can't get a socket to to go into the hole, can anyone tell me what size of sockets I will need for certain plugs, and is it a special socket. Thanks

2. Thanks for reply, I'm not sure what size it should be as I'm not sure what plugs are in it. I'm guessing different plugs will be different size sockets, it's a right pain in the arse

3. All the plugs that fit this bike will have the same size socket (plug sizes are all international standard sizes IIRC), 16mm. I bought the same one CR recommended and it fits on my 999. Are you getting any error codes/eobd light on the dash?

4. No no errors at all, first I noticed was when I pulled throttle back in 5th then pop and huge loss of power came home and felt exhaust pipes and one from the front cylinder cold and top one hot??hoping it's just a plug? Beginning to panic in case it's serious

5. It's just as likely to be the coil.
    The front coil and plug are very exposed and vulnerable to weather.
    You can try swapping coils to check.

6. Do you think it could be much worse if it's not the plugs or coils

7. Check the simple stuff first.
    Coils are notorious on these, especially the early ones.
    Have you checked to see if the plug is sitting in a pool of water?
    As Denzil says, the plugs are the same size. What varies is how far up or down the plug body the hexagonal flats which the socket locates on are situated.
    The oem Champion plugs have the flats further up the body than other plugs. This matters because the well that the plug sits in is tapered and gets narrower towards the bottom. This means that a standard socket can't reach anything other than the flats of a Champion plug.
    Problem is, Champion plugs are expensive and not that great, so nobody uses them.
    Solution is either a thin walled socket or grind your existing socket thinner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. So I got it out and it was black at the end so iv cleaned it off, going to test it once my boy is up from his nap, if there is water in there what would that mean? It's funny because on the service sheet it says they put in 2 ngk plugs however it's a bloody champion that's in it, so now I'm going to have to check the filters aswell, safe to say I'm not happy, what are the air filters like to access?

9. IMG_4331.JPG

10. Bit of a pain but not to bad.

Sides off - nose off - take off the air tubes. Not a big job. Should be 30 mins.......

(should).

• Like Like x 1
  11. You will need a long Allen key to get the air tubes off.
    Refitting the nose fairing is a fiddle due to having to get the indicator wires back in neatly.
    Otherwise not too bad.
    Water in there would be from riding in bad weather is all but could affect plug and coil performance

• Like Like x 2
  12. Just make sure you don't over tighten the bolts holding the air tubes to the air box .... because the captive nut can break free, and then the bolts just spin and will not tighten or loosen.

Guess how I know :sob:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information