1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Speeding Fines To Rise In April 2017 - What It Could Mean For You

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Not Carl Fogarty, Apr 19, 2017.

1. This may have been posted before? Seems this comes in April 24th 2017? or is it BS.

speed limit recorded speed
    20 21-30 31-40 41+
    30 31-40 41-50 51+
    40 41-55 55-65 66+
    50 51-65 66 - 75 76+
    60 61- 80 81 - 90 91+
    70 80-90 91 - 100 101+
    speed range/fine band A fine 50% of weekly income Band B 100% w. income Band C 150%
    3 points Disqual 7-28 days Disc 7 - 56 Day
    4-6 points 6 points.

Relevant weekly income?

4. Assessment of financial circumstances

2. Well that didn't work, did not look like that before I clicked to post, should have done an excel spread sheet... oh well

3. Apparently - This article is incredibly inaccurate. Someone states, the important point, completely missed, is that the new guidelines only apply if court proceedings are instituted.

The 36/30 example is ridiculous. 36/30 is a speed awareness course or otherwise a £100 fixed penalty and 3 points endorsement. 36/30 doesn't involve court proceedings and an income based fine - and it won't in future. The only reason 36/30 would go to court is if the accused didn't pay the £100 fixed penalty or wasn't eligible for a fixed penalty - because he has 9 or more points within 3 years of the latest offence.

The new guidelines are near identical to the existing guidelines - but only the highest category changes from Band B to Band C.

Drive at speeds up to and incuding 95/70 and the police will offer you the chance to pay a fixed penalty. Absolutely nothing to do with your income. The same applies to speeds up to and including 49/30. This is not changin

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Oh that's a shame. I think fines linked to income would be much fairer.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  5. Especially if your a dole dossing benefits scrounger then you can drive round like a lunatic safe in the knowledge that whatever % fine of £0 is a fine of £0.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. So a person with money gets a harsher punishment than those without? Ridiculous

• Like Like x 1
  7. Or can afford to hire better legal representation and gets off scot free*...?

*Other outcomes are also possible

8. If a person has worked and earnt enough money to afford such privileges, good on them, to be punished more severely for the same crime as someone who cant be arsed getting out of bed is wrong regardless of income.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Are you being serious?

We've all seen people in expensive cars parking wherever they want because paying the £30-50 fine if they get caught means nothing to them. Who is this helping?

10. Ive actually never seen that, i guess i must have lived a sheltered life.

11. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with a two-tier society based upon wealth.

/run away

Heh. Thinking about it, if parking is normally, say, a tenner a day but Lord Snooty CBFA with all that nonsense and just wants to settle up at the end of each month by means of fines that are costing him more than legal parking would, all that means is that people are paying for parking in accordance with their means.

Parking fines have almost no link these days with road safety, responsible parking, etc. It's purely a financial consideration.

#11 Loz, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  12. If that's the case then there's going to be two sorts of people that don't give a crap about getting caught for motoring offences. Those that can afford to pay the fines and those that won't have to. As usual its the majority of society stuck in the middle (the hard workers that pay their way in life) that get stung the most.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. You could have a minimum of something similar to what it is now. It's just that someone making a million a year isn't put off by £60-100 are they? Obviously we have the points system to stop people from paying their way through the system. But if that's the only deterrent then why have fines at all?

14. Works both ways though, the person with no income cant pay so wont bother either, now that i have seen and been on the recieving end. As Big M says its us who get stuck in the middle.

15. The fines are for people who have totted up more than 12 points but who are still allowed to drive legally because of the specific circumstances.

The fines are also to make sure middle-income earners hold up the rest of the country, like they do with everything else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Just to clarify the issue in this thread, there has been no change to the statutes, and thus no change to the maximum penalties prescribed by law. What has changed this week is the sentencing guidelines. Sentencing courts (usually Magistrates Courts for speeding) are expected to follow the guidelines unless there are exceptional reasons to the contrary. Under the newly amended guidelines, financial penalties are expected to be about 50% higher than they would have been previously for these offences. Annoying I know, but no need for hysterical panic.

17. OK, let's see if I have this straight:

• Fines increased 50% by statute - hysterical panic appropriate.
    • Fines increased 50% through sentencing guidelines - no need for panic, hysterical or otherwise.

That about right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. So do I, I don't have an income.

19. New increased fines are only applicable to those cases that reach court.

Speeding can still be dealt with by penalty points and standard fine, if you are within the guidelines for points etc

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Hysterical? Bloody hilarious...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information