1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Speedo/ Speed Sensor/ Odometer

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by slappywhite, Oct 17, 2015.

1. They didn't say and since I didn't need a new dash/loom or any other cash spent I wasn't that bothered. Ducati told them about it so maybe it's a known issue.

2. Back again - that fix didn't last long, speed is once again all over the place.

At least the miles seem to be behaving this time.

Out of ideas now...

3. If speedo is going funny then speed sensor this time maybe

4. Speed sensor was the first thing that was replaced originally. Then the ECU was swapped back to original. Both 'fixes' worked briefly, then mental speeds again.

5. Maybe a short in the loom then ... only thing i can think of matey

6. I'm about ready to get shot of this, I think I've bought a lemon.
    The speed sensor was changed, the ECU was swapped, the dash was checked (works).
    The bike hasn't worked properly since September (3 months after I bought it and just after the warranty ran out)
    It's been to 2 Ducati dealers who have both contacted Ducati - their expertise seems to be confined to using Google.
    It goes wrong when it gets hot and it seems to be mostly throttle related - closed throttle is ok-ish, open throttle goes mad. Once it goes wrong it goes REALLY wrong, speed and miles go on at standstill (mostly on throttle but sometimes not)

Is there ANY chance that a ropey TPS could confuse the ECU ? Dodgy voltage? (I know nothing about electrics, I'm clutching at straws since Ducati are NO use).
    I thought about getting a loom off eBay but as there's no guarantee that would work I don't want to try...

7. Only thing i can suggest is what i said before matey, if you have a short in the loom somewhere, heat, movement and vibration can cause issues, i had a short on my aprilia rsv, caused the bike to cut out or not start, then would start ... that short was from the ignition to the ecu, all looked fine, i changed the ecu, no change .... only when i started undoing the tape on the loom did i see burnt wires, that was aprilia though, ... have you looked round the wiring loom and connectors for pinched wires, heat damaged wires etc.
    Has the dash been changed to make sure its not an intermittent fault, pcb boards are shits to fault find, again heat or moisture can cause issues

8. The dash was checked by a company in the Netherlands. It works perfectly. Ducati were '99% sure' it was the dash.

The loom has been checked for obvious shorts and 'wrongness' by 2 dealers. I've looked but I don't know what I'm looking at.

I've had enough.

9. Understand how a feel matey, my aprilia drove me nuts ..... a short in the loom can be a nick in the insulation rubbing on the frame or engine case .(i had that on my aprilia) ... or 2 wires that have burnt and so are shorting out together. .. thats what happened on my aprilia also, that was caused by a connector, high resistance caused heat, that caused burnt wires. :( ... new loom was needed but that was a known aprilia issue apparently.

If ducati thought it was the dash, putting a different one on is the only check to see if its the cause, taking it off and running tests does not always show the problems imo

• Like Like x 1
  10. is this (circled) the connection that the speed sensor goes to?

WIRES.jpg

11. I'm new to ducati but follow the cable and it should go to the speed sensor

12. Has the root cause of this ever been found? I have a similar issue with my 1198s, occasionnally showing random speeds. Also, when dtc is switched on it gets triggered by these speedo hick ups.

13. Interesting read this post and I had similar problems but not as bad as yours, so I did a search and found this post :-
    http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1098r-on-speedo.50838/
    I've just added a thread to it, mine is sorted now I hope :anguished: but reading the latter threads of your post I hope mine doesn't come back :cry:
    Guvs.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information