1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Speedo Trip Adjuster Removal

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by duc996bp, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Has anyone removed the Trip Adjuster Knob on the side of the speedo? I have bought a RCS clutch lever, the span adj knob on the lever hits the speedo knob at full steering, if that makes sense!

Looking into the Speedo knob (there is a hole) I'm sure I can see a very small screw, I dont want to go and break something if I'm wrong by trying to remove it.

2. Very small Phillips mate. Took mine out last month to swap the surround for a new one. Very fragile, take your time!

Ian

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks Ian!
    Any idea if the screw goes into plastic or metal? My guess is plastic

4. Plastic, I think. Really easy to mess it up. Use the right screwdriver and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thanks, I managed to remove it. You are right, the correct size screwdriver is key. It crews into a brass shaft.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dredging up this for a related question. my knob just fell off while pushing the bike along.apparently, it seems to have broken at the brass shaft. while out, I unscrewed the knob from the brass shaft. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I'm assuming that I have to take the speedo apart but from the research I've done, it doesn't appear to be an easy task.

7. My shaft doesn’t have a knurled knob on it either. I can just about get enough purchase on it to zero the mileage, but it isn’t exactly easy.

I will check to see if anything is interfering as my 996 SPS has a few non-OEM parts fitted.

8. So looks like I have an upgraded clutch MC that fouls the instrument pod, so the knurled knob has been removed.
    It still works, just takes a bit more effort.
    I believe there might be an MOT issue for lack of steering clearance.

IMG_5493.jpeg

IMG_5494.jpeg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information