1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spraying

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Cream_Revenge, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Evening

I'm going to start playing with paint. I got a few bits of fairing to play with and will eventually be redoing the SRAD top to toe.

Question is:
    how many aerosols would you say a sports bike takes for the full fairing?
    At what point does it make economical sense to buy a compressor?

Thanks

2. 1 can :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. all about the prep.
    upload_2015-9-17_20-54-16.jpeg
    seriously tho, special primer first coat?. stops it crazing?.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. I really did think the same when I read, thought does he ever let up about that sheadage, or is is garhed :Hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. think i have filled my thread hijack quota for the week.:smile:
    i go up to mates house every friday night, he was a quality painter i will seek his advice

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Have done loads, and peveryone has (at best) looked ok from 10 paces but pretty crap close up. Reckon I use 4 tins plus 2 primer on a fairing, tank, seat. And more for when I have to strip it because of runs!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Enough guys, answer the man's question. From my experience using rattle cans for a full respray is impractical. A fairly basic spraying setup is relatively affordable but for a one off use might be hard to justify. If you are keen to develop the skill just do it, if you just want a professional job find a local backstreet guy but do all you own preparation. By cutting down the work the sprayer has to do, a single colour job you can then personalise, should cost about £100.

#7 Android853sp, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I have compressor now, plus the spray attachment, just no where to hone my skills

9. and it is a skill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. it aint just how much is contained in a aerosol can its more the fact that it has a fuct up non adjustable spray pattern and the paint it self... if you want a good finish you need a gun and compressor or a hvlp system or best of all an airless air assisted system (which i have but have never used!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I know a pro painter who is £225 for a full bike

12. back in my mini days i painted it with one of those cheep electric guns used hamerite thin'd down with finnigans (there's a coincidence) thinners came out really good.

13. Tis a good start

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Those were the days. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Watched that, and many others the other day.

Looks like I will be getting a compressor then, thanks guys.

16. i sprayed 2 bedrooms and a kitchen/living room in 16 minutes today... trying to upload the vid as i type

17. Youre miles from me I think? I could supply compressor if you can suppy the space ;)

18. Make sure you choose a compressor with a good capacity receiver that can maintain a steady air delivery which is crucial for a good finish. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Sprayed like my cats sprayed before i cut their balls off?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Thanks but its something I want to be able to do as and when i have the time and the mood takes me. The lad will be starting to ride bikes in the next 3 or 4 years (if he likes it or not) and the daughter will be driving in 18 months so i expect a lot of spraying will be required. Think I will just buy a compressor.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information