1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sprocket Know How

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by slinky848, Mar 13, 2017.

1. The ducati 848 i have bought has 2 teeth less on the rear sproket.

i wondered if anyone could help me out with knowing how much of a difference 1 or 2 or 3teeth changes make?

as ive never had a bike and changed the sproket gearing ratio. so cannot compare.

2. 2 teeth less than what?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. A sprocket with 2 more teeth silly :smileys:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. than my honda 125

5. no, 2teeth less than oem sprocket

6. Sounds like a rare beastie :), I'm not aware of anybody just reducing the size of their rear sprocket on a modern Duc, 'lengthening' the gearing will have a negative effect on acceleration and increase the top speed - You've more than enough top speed with the standard gearing so most folk go the other way to increase acceleration and reduce the need to slip the clutch in lower gears (setting off). Have you counted the teeth on the front sprocket ? 15 is standard

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Thread moved

8. That's odd, is it definitely two teeth less and not two more on the back?

Most road gearing is a bit long for most UK tracks other than Silverstone GP so adding a couple of teeth on the rear sacrifices about 5-10mph top speed and means you can shift into second for a lot of the slow corners and get a smoother exit. It's all track, rider, and bike dependent but this works about right for most people in comparison to road gearing.

9. i need to take a look at the front sprocket, but, standard says 42T and this renthal rear is 40T

10. Geared for economy??

11. guy seems to of done enough to this bike to presume he tracked it. i mean, ohlins internals front, ohlins upgrade rear, slipper clutch, and the whole sproket changing thing. usually a bit more than a standard road goer does (me)

#12 slinky848, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  12. When you have written a post, edit appears at bottom left.
    Click on it and you can then amend any mistakes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Could it be Isle of Man gearing?

14. Where do you get that from? Standards 39 :Bookworm:

15. Yup, says 39 on the table that a link was supplied to.

So the gearing is actually lowered. Now, that does make sense...

Only a bit though, unless it's also been fitted with a 14 tooth front sproCket, in which case, it's been lowered quite a lot.

16. 15/39 is standard so if you want a little more acceleration and sacrifice a bit of top speed put 40 or possibly 41 on the rear.

17. can we attempt to explain how much of a difference we are talking?

per tooth, per Sprocket!

18. and im sure the guy i bought it off said that. and backed it with forum proof about standard suzes, (admitting forums are not fact)

19. See post # 7 above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information