1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Sps Purchase Advice

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by chrispyduck, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Hello. I am new to Ducati ownership and have always longed for a 916. My chance has come to purchase an SPS. I have contacted Ducati in Bologna and checked out its authenticity however i was after some general advice here.
    It has 13400 miles with a few honest chips and scuffs but nothing serious, i would describe as excellent but used. Could do with a deep clean and good polish and replace a few tarnished fastenings. So i am looking to pay £9k. Does this represent good value for a limited bike as i haven't seen one before, i am told they are going up in value but i guess that depends on the starting point.
    Any comments are welcome.
    Many thanks

2. You should buy my 998 with only 7887 miles up at £6650 pics on the forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NO you should leave it well alone:Stop:.... and then send me the exact details of who is selling it...;) :Watching: :Wideyed:

4. Buy it. :)

5. If it's the shape that attracts you, you will be better with the 998 for a bike to use - and it will also go up in value just as well (and it's a good price too). You need to revise the SPS's as the later ones weren't as special as the earlier ones for trick parts I think. The SPS sounds a reasonable price at 9k dependant on condition and history / no of owners / UK spec bike and not an import and a few other things :)

6. If it stacks up and the right history, buy it. Proper real classic.

7. Couple of things that are inconsistent:
    The mirrors are red and the front fairing is white above the headlights up to screen, the same as a Foggy rep. Manchester Ducati tell me these inconsistencies are normal. Does it matter ???

8. It wouldn't be to me, but that's because I'd paint them red and have a number board fitted anyway.

Long as it's a genuine sps, plaqued up with sand cast motor etc and good history, what's a mirror or two :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. As a matter of interest does anyone know the price of the 916 SPS when new in 1998 ?

10. About 20k iirc

11. Great link. Thanks.
    So the SPS was about £4k more than the standard 916. Is that good value and do they represent a more rare option of the model.

12. 200 I thnk of which only 199 were sold to the public

Not 4k worth of kit tho, slight frame mod for larger airbox, 5 spoke wheels, stickers from very distance memory when I was buying one back in 2005

13. 202 Foggy rep of which 200 were sold in the UK only in 1998 according to the earlier link. Andy

14. Not too far out then

15. I have had mine since buying it new in 1999, and would do it again. They are very 'raw' bikes and deceptively quick. The one I have cost me £15000 as a parallel import through Baines Racing so the depreciation isn't too bad...

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. The bike i am looking at is number 0218 so not a Foggy rep !!!!

17. Got too clever for my own good ! The FIRST tranche of 202 Foggy reps to homologate the bike for racing were released in 1998. There were a further two releases of I think 275 and 175 in 1999/2000 that were still Foggy reps. I believe the stratospheric prices are reserved for that first release. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information