1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St 3 Turns Over Won't Fire Up

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by bfaherty, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Hi guys
    05 ST3 wont't start. Fuel pump not spinning/hummimg with key on so I think it's not getting gas.
    I unplugged the connection and checked voltage and when I turn on the key it reads 12v for a few seconds then drops to 4v so power is going to the plug.
    I took a battery charger and put 12v to the red and black wire on the pump and it spun/hummed.
    So power to the plug, and and the pump spins with battery charger but not when plugged in on bike harness. What do you think?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. check the fuses? there's an electrical fault somewhere in that circuit.

3. Small micro relay , left side sat on the bike below the inner fairing cockpit cover .

4. Hi
    Thanks. Will check that relay. I'm confused because I'm getting 12 volts for a few seconds then 4 volts and the pump won't spin. Anyway I will check.
    Thanks
    Brian

5. Hi Again
    Where exactly is the fuel pump relay. Is it in the fuse holder near the left fork tube or is it a separate one under the faring somewhere. I don't want to have to take off all the bodywork if I don't have to.
    Thanks
    Brian

6. The relay is responsible for a number of gremlins.Remove the dash surround left side only.
    You can access the relay from there without removing the side fairing.Its not in the fuse bank.
    If you're struggling I'll take a picture when I get the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi the relay has the white paint on.
    it's kept here or there abouts.
    Sample of one on my tank,so you know what you're looking for.

20170306_182530.jpg

20170306_182637.jpg

8. Hi guys
    Never found the relay but pulled all the fuses, inspected them and put them back. Fuses were all good. After replacing them I turned the key on and heard some noise from the dash area. After that the bike fired up. yeaaaaa!!! I don't understand it but I'm glad it works now. Thanks for the help.
    Brian

• Like Like x 2
  9. where possible always check for voltage with a test light as well as a multi meter. its not unusual to get 12v for it to drop away under load. if it does 99% of the time its a bad connection in the circuit, and more often than not the bad connection relates to the relay.

10. I had terrible trouble with fuses on my SS.
    The fuses can be perfectly intact but make poor contact with the fuse holder.
    On the SS it was the top one that gave the trouble, because it was the highest rated, so carried the most load. It's essential that the fuse is not twisted, so nice and flat in order to make best contact.
    I jammed some little slivers of plastic between the fuse-holders to give stronger contact. A bit of a bodge but it worked a treat.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information