1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Starter Seized

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Derek, Aug 1, 2016.

1. It is a nice sunny day here today and thought I'd take the Scrambler out for a run.
    I got my gear on, wheeled the bike out of the garage, turned it on and pressed the starter. It turned over for about 1/4 of a revolution and stopped. I tried again and the starter solenoid just clicked.
    Initially I thought the battery must be flat but on putting the meter across it read 12.6V, dropping to 8.5V when I engaged the starter. Ah well, it must be the battery that's duff and has developed a high internal resistance I thought. I put it on charge anyway.
    2 hours later I tried again - no difference.
    To confirm it was the battery I swapped it with the battery from my 907ie (I have a lithium battery of the same size fitted to it). On pressing the starter the symptoms were exactly the same. So the problem isn't the battery.
    I took out the plugs and tried turning the engine with an engine turning tool on the end of the crank. The engine will turn forwards but not backwards. So it seems to me that the starter or the intermediate gear has seized, the sprag clutch will allow it to turn forwards but not backwards against the seized starter.
    So tomorrow I will have to call Ducati Glasgow and see how I get this sorted under the warranty. The bike is a non-runner so will have to be collected. I suspect it would be a lot simpler if they'd just send me another starter that I could fit myself - but I know they won't.

2. Well, I called Ducati Glasgow this morning and was a bit disappointed to find that I had to call Ducati Assistance to arrange for the bike to be picked up and taken to Glasgow. I was a lot more disappointed to find out that although Ducati Assistance will take the bike there, I have go to collect it myself to get it back. Something I'm going to take up with Ducati customer service. It's not my fault it broke so why should I be out of pocket and spend the best part of a day getting 100 miles to Glasgow and back because of a fault with the bike [​IMG]
    More importantly, another issue I have with them is that the number on the Ducati Assistance card comes up as "Unrecognised number" on my mobile which uses the O2 network. I got through immediately from the landline. A lot of use that would be when I'm broken down at the side of the road. They gave me an alternative number which is 0033 472 171 205. It would be wise to take a note of it.
    I then had to wait 2 1/2 hours for the AA to come and pick the bike up. Again, I'm glad it was at home and not at the roadside somewhere!

#2 Derek, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  3. Update. It turned out that the problem was caused by a broken selector return spring. A bit had broken off it and then jammed the starter intermediate gear, effectively jamming the starter. I did wonder as starter motors seldom fail in that manner.
    They are replacing the intermediate gear, the bearing it runs on and of course the spring.
    A bit concerning though that the spring had failed after only 3,000 miles. The one on my ST4s lasted until 27,000, the 907ie is at 31,000 and the MTS1200 at 38,000, both on the original springs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information