1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Issues

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by CamBJones, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Strange staring issue.

See video.

And

I'm getting it recovered to the mechanic tomorrow.

Please discuss.

#1 CamBJones, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. I had this problem with my HM796 and it was a bad battery.

3. thanks GFFM. The battery's only a month old so I'm not sure it's that.

4. New batteries can be duds - do you have good voltage / cranking voltage?
    If ok check / replace Starter Solenoid - they are cheap.
    Check connections are all tight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks Exige. Yeah I think I'm good with voltage. I had the battery on the trickle charger last night. You'll also see I've started to install your premium leads. I've only done battery to solenoid so far though. I've not attacked the earth and starter motor leads yet.

The noise is coming from the solenoid so I wondered if it was that. That's the clicking sound in the first video.

6. You haven't got a loose lead / connection anywhere? Finish fitting the leads and clean all the terminals.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I shouldn't have any loose leads but I'll check tomorrow just in case. Would that cause the clicking sound from the solenoid?

Thanks for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yes, a loose or bad Earth could

• Like Like x 1
  9. Where the two heavy cables go on the starter solenoid pull the rubber covers back , make sure bikes in neutral !!!!! or you will end up in the road with it !! , cross the two poles with say long nose pliers , it may spark a bit .... , this is bypassing the solenoid , if the bike cranks over this means battery and battery connections and Earth from battery to frame must be good .....or it would not crank over ......if it does not crank over the ' heavy ' connections are loose some where or battery not up to it .

If it cranks over good , then the switching wires to the solenoid need testing , the fuse and the connector under the red fuse cover all secure / clean , I would test the solenoid energising wires with say a halogen bulb so you know they are capable of carrying some load .
    If this is all to much just get the mechcanic to look at it ....hopefully he/ she knows what they are doing .

10. Hey many thanks Mechcanico Lee for that. I ended up getting it recovered to my Mechanic today because it was parked I'm central London where I work and I didn't want to leave it overnight again. He tried a number of things like bypassing the solenoid, he tried one of those battery jump start batteries and he could not work it out either.

Anyway Marcus as Rosso Corse has it and it going to look at it tomorrow. I'll let you know what he finds.

11. OK... I've not picked up the bike yet because Marcus is not finished with it yet but he did narrow down the issue... It was the earth!! So anyone with money on that being the issue you take home first prize. It took a lot of trial and error to narrow it down. He tested everything but it was the earth screw was every so slightly undone. Not so much that there was any play in the earth cable, even he thought 'this couldn't be it' but when he replaced the bolt it started first go.

He's now fitting the rest of Exige 'exact-start' as I'd only done the battery to solenoid cable and as he had it all apart it he could do it pretty easily.

He's also fixing a sticky handlebar brake light switch which was causing the brake light to stay on... plus a 'belt change' service... it's going to cost me a bit I think.

At least it's sorted!

Thanks for the words of advice all!

12. I said that twice so can I have 2nd prize as well :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ha ok first and second price for you mate :grin:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Hope it was an Exige belt... ;)

15. I think you actually said it THREE times, Stu.

16. I got 3rd too :Wideyed: the planets must have aligned :Angelic:

• Like Like x 1
  17. 1st, 2nd and 3rd Stu... I'll see if I can get you a trophy for your cabinet :tearsofjoy:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Exige, I've finally got your cables installed now... starts like a dream now!!

So you can add 796 as a fit for the Hyper 1100 Evo (ES-17)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Cheers :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information