1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stm Clutch Holding Tool For Evoluzione Slipper Clutches

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nelson, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Anyone out there using one of these clutches, do you have a an alternative to the daft, special and expensive holding tool?

2. I use this clutch and yes I had to buy the expensive tool. Couldn't see any other way to do it without one . I can get some close up pictures of it if you think you can reproduce it . There it is hanging up at the back of my garage.

IMG_1241.JPG

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 22.12.20.png

3. Cheers.
    May have to buy one of the buggers! Either that or it's the rattle gun and thread lock!

4. I have the Evoluzione and the proper tool. It's awesome and is worth the cost first time you use it.
    It locks into the frame as well, so no bodging or anything.
    If you're serious about using the STM kit then it's worth the outlay.

How much have you seen them for?

5. I have two clutches @bootsam how many teeth is that? :p
    Tools appear to be £100+

My clutch is different to ^

6. I purchased a cheap universal clutch tool from ebay, about £15 if I remember correctly. You get 2 types, one with flat bar on the ends or one with pins on the end. I purchased the ones with pins in the end but had to file them down a little to get them to fit.
    This is what I used to fit the STM clutch to my BMW, no problem. It looks exactly like the clutch pictured above.

Here is a link to one similar to the one I purchased:-
    Universal Scooter / Motorcycle flywheel holding tool 6mm/10mm pins 45-180 Range | eBay

Davy

#6 Niven770, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. That's more goddam like it...:upyeah:

8. I have only 1 holding tool. :p One of those cheap nylon ones. Works a treat. :Cigar:

9. This is the one I have. I actually had two but only one original locking pin (in first pic), so I made another pin and sold the original set ;)

stm_01.JPG stm_02.JPG

10. So why can't the traditional drum locker be used?
    Does the pressure plate have to go on then be locked to tighten the drum?

11. This is mine,

[​IMG]

12. Has anyone ever found an outlet that sells the 48 tooth sintered wear plates separate. I have loads of the steel ones lying about and would like to only buy what I need .

13. I had the same STM tool as Antonye in post 9,think it states in my STM product booklet it fits all Ducati STM evoluzione clutches.Ended up selling it on ebay used for over £100 with the pin lock.Ive also got a homemade one somewhere but cant find it as usual.Ive tried both 6 spring and evoluzione STM slippers and found I preferred the original for feel and performance plus you don't have to fuck about buying special tools.On the plus side the later spec STM evoluzione slippers have a better upgraded design spider spring though.

#13 matt#corse, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  14. Mines different . I bought it at the same time i bought the clutch which was in 2008 . Handle sits on or under the foot rest .

2014-12-22 20.09.13.jpg

2014-12-22 20.09.53.jpg

15. Because it's not your traditional plate and drum design!
    You can't get to the inner drum until you've taken the red outer and black inner retaining plates off.

You flick out the retaining ring between the red outer plate and the black central retaining plate.
    Then you can pull out the black central plate by hand.
    Next you have to engage the lock tool to remove the central nut that holds the spider spring in place and then you can remove the red out plate and get access to the inner hub / drum.
    Once you've done that the whole lot disassembles.

You can then use a traditional basket holding tool of your choice to remove the basket.

Parts diagram here:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Anyone have a spare M25 nut? :Banghead:

17. Hi Guys, I have an SP2 on the bench with 48T slipper. I've never worked with the new version STM but expected the pressure plate to come off once i'd removed bearing rest and main nut, but it won't. Is there something my ignorance is missing, or should the drum slip off the spline? Cheers Moz

STM-E.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information