1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stroppy Dealer

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Oly, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Oh well i just got a price from ducati wolverhampton for the termi cans for my 1200r.
    £1175 posted which i thought was a good deal. AS my local dealer is J&L motorcycles in CArlisle I telephoned them to ask if they could match the price, and also do the up map whilst i brought it in for its first service. to my suprise they told me that they couldnt buy the cans for that price so no.
    I then asked if they would do the up map whilst in for its service? bluntly i was told no. as i hadnt bought the exhaust from them they wouldnt do it, even though i was paying for a service at the time.
    So i rang Ducati Manchester and they are now servicing my bike and doing the upmap FOC a week on wednesday. I will never take my bike near Carlisle Ducati again.
    rant over

2. Surely DMC Moto in Preston is closer (and my local dealer) ?

I can sort of understand Carlisle to some extent as they aren't getting the revenue from you - there is something to be said for sticking with a single / good local dealer rather than shopping around to get the cheapest deal I feel. I think Ducati (from my experience at DMC certainly) like to have that 'relationship' with a customer

Also, I thought that the upmap came as part of the order for the cans - so they may not be able to do it. Not 100% sure about that. I've seen other pasts state that dealers don't have full access to all maps that they can just download from Ducati site and install 'at will'.

Out of interest - what were Carlisle offering as a price ?

3. Never say never! You might breakdown outside of the dealership..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. i take your point but i was paying for a running in service, and two dealers have told me that the upmap job consists of plugging the bike in, leaving for 20 mins and its done,
    ducati manchester said they would do the up map no problem, so we will see.
    carlisles pipes were £1400, i didnt get as far as an exact price due to his rude attitude.
    I have had a diavel before which manchester looked after so that is why i decided to go there.
    carlisle have lost the service costs and my future business, but i suspect they arent bothered.
    probably annoyed at me shopping around but £225 is alot of difference

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. if i break down outside their dealership 1, i will be lost and 2, ill push it into the river and get the bus home!!!!:grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. i will fit mine prior to the service and then ride down and get the upmap sorted. or at least that is my plan

7. DIY the upmap

8. I know you say that they are your local dealer, but have you used them before?

I would expect to get brushed off on the phone asking for discount if they didn't know me, but not if I was a regular customer. It does seem a bit shiity of them if you had the bike booked in for a service, they could have done the upmap for a nominal fee and built up some kind of relationship to keep you coming back.

9. FWIW I paid for my upmap to be done on the 821, 30 mins labour, as I bought my Termis on ebay, although no service ATT I didn't expect it to be done for nothing as I hadn't bought it through them.

10. bear in mind anyone can be having a shit day when you call. It's not an excuse, but does happen.

11. I went in a few weeks ago and asked for a part ex price on my bmw.
    After a promise of a call
    The following Monday with a price I sat tight. It never came so I bought a bike elsewhere, I went in again and asked about the service. I was asked why I hadn't bought their demonstrator and it backfired on them a bit when I said I might have done if they had rang me back.
    He said he would
    Look after me and the bike, I had spoken about a set of tyres also.
    I run my own business and no matter what sort of day I'm having I need to speak to customers correctly.
    Otherwise I will End up without customers. Sometimes I throw out a Bit of goodwill/ favour and that often pays me back with return business.
    I was potentially spending around £400 with them.
    He told me the price I had got for the termis was ex vat, or 1175 plus vat.
    It wasn't, I have purchased them and they are on their way at £1175, free postage too.
    i guess they have plenty of trade and can pick and chose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fair enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. I can't believe any dealer would charge for fitting, how long does it take to change the end cans.......15 mins..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information