1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Subframe Advice

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Maccaa, Sep 30, 2016.

1. I am looking to replace the standard subframe on my 1198s with a Pierobon version. I have spoken to JHP who have kindly emailed Pierobon, but there seems to be a little confusion.

Tim seems to think that there were two types of rear subframe, a race and a road version, Pierobon only list the race version now, but have confirmed that the rear light and indicators will fit.

Has anyone fitted one of these to an 1198s without problem?

Rear frame : 1098/1198/848 single seat rear sub frame

Is there a mount required for traction control?

Just want things to go a smoothly as possible.

Thanks Maccaa

@Topolino I think you fitted one to your 1098?

2. Ok, no thoughts?

Another question, does anyone have a picture of how/where the traction control box mounts?

3. I have a Ducati traction control mounting bracket somewhere which I'll try and find in amongst all the other bike related treasure trove and take a picture. My understanding is that the level is key to its performance. The parts diagram isn't great but should give you some idea. Andy

4. Thanks @Android853sp that would be most useful, I have scoured @Bullitt 1198spr project and I think there are pictures of everything but the bracket/unit. Also @Topolino 1098 project ( I appreciate it was pre dtc but there may have been clues)

Maccaa

5. Hi mate - just seen this.

Yes, there are 2 Ducati OEM subframes, both are for road bikes. One is for the "R" which is mega rare and mega light. The other for all other bikes as it is made out of iron (weighs as if it is), has extra cross bracing and mounting points for pillion seats.

The tail lights and indicators have nothing to do with the subframe. Tail lights bolt on to the seat unit and indicators on to the number plate hanger.

Ducati part numbers for OEM Street subframes:
    "R" 470.1.197.2A (Taken from Ducati USA catalouge)
    "Other" 470.1.702.1AG (Taken from 1198SP catalouge)

Worth noting also the 1198RS subframe number is - 470.1.197.3A - but that will cost you a fortune! Worth noting that this RS subframe does have a DTC mounting point, but it's at the front on the subframe and sits directly below the seat pad. Won't work with the DTC unit from the S, R or SP.

Re the Pierobon item, it comes with a bracket for the DTC unit already on it. If you look at the aft most cross brace, there is a plate there but the holes are not correct for the Ducati DTC Unit. It uses 3 bolts.

I have a 1098R subframe and a DTC bracket from BSD - Bike Sport Developments. Works perfectly. Take the time to fit it using a spirit-level. There is a laser-gyro inside it and does require to be level for it to work.

Ducati DTC and Nemesis TCS mounting bracket

This is the bracket on my bike:

IMG_8371.JPG

My advice to you would be to order the Pierobon frame and ask them to make it without the bracket (probably made to order anyways) and fit the bracket from BSD.

Hope that helps.

#5 Bullitt, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I have one of the BSD brackets.
    The DTC is rubber mounted on mine.

IMG_0082.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Hmm, never thought about those rubber bits. I just figured they were to bridge the gap through the plastic. Might have to look at that again.

Oh, @Maccaa - I should've said, order a new fuel tank bracket (830.1.418.1A) and torque it to 10nm as per the manual. Yours is most probably twisted and sheared. All seem to have been ham-fisted on my the Italian muscle men at Ducati.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Macca, my apologies. If I actually used half my brain, I'd be dangerous. Photos as promised - finally. Andy

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. @Android853sp @Bullitt @RickyX thanks guys really appreciate the responses, I eventually ordered the Pierbon unit on the basis that both JHP and Louigi advised that they could make whatever arrived work, however I will check that if it hasn't been ordered they may ask for a unit without the pre fabricated mount.

I like the adjustability of those BSD mounts and that solution obviously works.

Also thanks for the heads up re the tank mount, I actually bought a beautifully cnc'd replacement mount from the states......but the holes are half a mm out from the mount holes/captive nuts :( couldt bring myself to tweak out the holes on the mount but will do now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information