1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sugar Tax

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by johnv, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Would increasing the price of fizzy drinks by 20% or even 40% make any significant difference to the obese or those at risk to diabetes ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. yip. and he agrees
    upload_2015-10-22_18-3-0.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'm glad it's been quoshed already, what an utterly stupid idea. ​

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. seriously tho. go to any supermarket look at the snck sandwich section. can of coke a muffin and a packet of crisps cheaper than a sandwich. wtf?

5. Tax the fat people.
    Tax chips.
    Tax oranges.
    Tax apples.
    Tax tax ( I forgot, they already do that ).

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Just eaten half a bar of chocolate ( large ). Very nice thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. So how was your breakfast? :smile:

8. no time to eat. and with my teeth it's dam near impossible. :smile:

9. Although most food and drink is zero rated for VAT, sweetened foods and drinks are 20% VAT (confectionery, chocolate, choc biscuits, fizzy drinks, etc).

Sugar, honey, and syrup are sweet (not sweetened) foods, so zero rated VAT.

Media articles talk about "putting a tax on sugar". Well its true that actual bags of Tate&Lyle are tax free, but the media purport to justify the proposal in terms of sweets, chocolates, fizzy drinks, and sweetened foods which already bear a special tax. It's a distorted, weaseled argument which always omits the relevant facts.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Thanks x 1
    • Useful x 1
  10. I'm not sure what Mr Oliver was thinking of other than ensuring that he remains a 'household name'. His deserts are expensive enough already :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. with the us and them and why should i pay for their problems attitude of today, i am surprised there wasn't more support for this.

12. Let people eat/drink/smoke what they like and let natural selection take its course.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Euthanasia next…

• Like Like x 2
  14. Before you all rush out and book a cross channel ferry to do your tax free sugar run, give me a shout. I am sure that we could do a trade, you supply me with English PG tips tea bags and I'll send you some French tax free sugar in return. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nope. Just tell people the truth and let them live as they choose and shoulder the consequences. Infantilising the population isn't the best way to make people take responsibility for themselves.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. It is an example of both the nanny state and a regressive tax on the poor, who by all accounts drink this stuff, therefore it is unpopular from both sides of the political divide.
    However a tax on sugar could help pay for all of those mobility scooters :Angelic:

17. i genuinely don't see a problem in it. well known health and behavioral issues. it's not a ban. it's deterrent of sorts. like i said check out your local coop. it's just to cheep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bloody Nora
    Take the tax credits away then what little there is left to buy all the sugary food stuff because it's cheap then tax that and take a bit more from the poor
    How much more do they have to take
    They need luxuries too even of it is sugar

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Maybe it was just me – but the way you worded your post before made me think that even when you are aware that someone is damaging their health it's okay not to tell them?

20. Its not the sweets that are the issue, its the £1 ready meals and frozen shit thats coated in god knows what and laden with heavily processed carbs thats the issue. And bread. And coke. Fizzy type, not charlie type. Poor cant afford that, and the poor are kept from the good stuff by its lack of availability at Iceland and the toffs needs to be superior.

You rarely see fat rich people. Or toof people. Theres a reason for that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information