1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sv 650's - Anyone Owned One?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Jim2wheels, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Opinions wanted. Thought I'd got a cheap Bandit 600 as a winter hack but it broke down twice in two miles. Needless to say I took it back and politely asked for my cash back.

Decided to increase the budget up to £1500 and get something a bit nicer. It's in the SV 650 price range and I quite fancy the bulgy eyes of the 2000-2003 range but I've seen a few newer ones in my price range too.

Looking for thoughts from anyone who has owned or ridden one, less so on what the Internet says. I've done my homework on that front :thumbsup:

2. If you've done your homework then you'll have had a good look at the sv650.org forum. I didn't use my 2000 (or was it 2001) SV650S as a winter hack, but it never let me down in bad weather. Then again, a Bandit should not have broken down!

There should be plenty of good ones out there - mine was when I sold it years ago for about £1500. Not worth buying the first one you see - I looked at several even though I bought newish at the time. Finish on engine and exhaust is not great. Brakes are basic but work fine. Carbs not injection unless you go for a later "pointy" styled model. There are bound to be some old ones in perfect condition with low mileage for not that much money.

Otherwise, good bike, sounded a bit like a small Monster because I had noisy cans, and easy to DIY maintain (no belts of course, and bucket-and-shim tappets that don't need checking often). Nice and light and I thought the handling was good, more so after a change of tyres as with so many bikes.

I still feel it's a pity that Suzuki did not persevere more with their V-twin range (I know they still exist, but you cannot compare the V-Strom with the Multistrada, for instance).

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's been 17 years since I bought a GSX750. Sold it to a mate when I bought the TL1000R. That 750 has been used every day since I sold it and it's still going strong. Makes a great hack. Andy

4. You can get a Ducati 600 monster for that sort of money

5. Maybe you're right but I've got a soft spot for Suzuki's having ridden so many down the years. I've been fortunate enough to own most of the best ones (IMO) since the 90's. RGV 250, GSXR600 SRAD/K1/K7, GSXR750 K4 to name my favourite ones.

6. I've a 600SRAD I've owned since 2001 that will be getting a fresh MOT, insurance and oil in November to get me through winter. Awesome little bikes.

7. Early sv's need to have been looked after !
    I had & really liked my 2002 Honda hornet, great bike.

8. Loved mine too mate. Only issue I had was carb icing after a below zero motorway hack. I still have the massive pillion seat - too nostalgic to let it go!

• Like Like x 1
  9. My wife had one and I went to Monza on it, as my 900SS was playing up. Brilliant fun and never missed a beat or used any oil. The wadding in the race can disintegrated so it sounded well fruity in the tunnels going through Switzerland. The engines is strong enough as long as it has had regular oil changes. The condition of the cycle parts will be a good indication to how well its been looked after, as they soon look shabby if neglected.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Suspension is very basic, brakes are ok, bolts are made of cheesium. Some issues on early ones with wiring looms rubbing on frame near headstock, front cylinder does not like getting wet so fender extender is a must in winter.

However, having said all that they are a great bike. I bought a new one in 2000 as my first bike and kept it for 4 years, sounded great with twin hi level Carbon cans. Light, easy to chuck around and cheap to run. More character than a blandit...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sounds like I'm picking the right bike then. It only needs to run during winter so I'll not do more than 3k miles a year, hopefully cheap to run at that level.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information