1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Sw-motech Rear Rack Fitted - Pics

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Sep 25, 2015.

1. I had a recent overnight trip with Mrs T on the back along with a small tailpack. There wasn't enough space really, and she was quite squished, so I bought a new SW-Motech rear rack to make a bit more luggage room behind the rear seat.

The rack has only just come out, and I bought it from here for £159.34 inch shipping (a bit pricey in my book, but I do need it).

It's very very well made. I have previously had Altrider racks which are great, and this is better. Very well packed, good instructions, well labelled Delrin (dense black plastic) bits, and the rack itself is thick, nicely coated, and well finished. Fitting took 30 mins.

Here's some pictures. As you can see, there are clamps that go onto the OEM rack, secured by being clamped plus also a bolt that goes into the underside of the OEM rack, all spaced properly with a plate either side.

It looks very nice - blends well with the design of the bike and doesn't look out of place.

[​IMG]SW-MOTECH Ducati rack by Tobers, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. That's not a bad looking rack at all.

Normally they kill the look of the bike. Looks pretty good quality too.

3. Does that mean you can now fit any topbox rather than just the Ducati one?

4. I guess you could, but unlike the Ducati one, this one isn't braced so the subframe so wouldn't be able to take as much load. I just put a soft tailpack on there which is quite light.

5. I have got the equivalent rack on my 2013. I have adaptor plates for both Monokey (Givi B37 Blade) and Monolock (Ducati 47l box). They are a plastic plate with the appropriate mountings. They fit into the keyhole cutout, as on tober's rack, and secure using captive, quarter turn screws into the three holes round it, using a flat head screwdriver, or a coin. It only takes about 20 seconds to fit the adaptor plate or remove it, so without a topbox on it looks as clean as tober's. My Monokey one takes a bit longer as I have to plug in the led brake lights for the box. Jon.

6. Sorry to dig up an old thread - Question is too relevant to start up a new one!

If I was to use the SW motech rear rack and fit a givi monokey mounting plate and this box: GIVI TREKKER OUTBACK OBK42B 42L Monokey Black Painted Aluminium Top Case | eBay Could I then utilise the 3rd lock barrel and original key so all my luggage shares one key? Or am I wrong in thinking the original panniers are Givi parts?

Cheers!

7. I am pretty certain that the Ducati panniers/top box are supplied by Givi - I have the Ducati rack with my own Givi V46 top box. I tried swapping the lock over to the spare Ducati one however the Ducati barrel was quite a bit longer and could not be fitted. You might be luckier with the alu box...

8. Yep dealer confirmed this today, what a faff!

Does the ducati rear rack hold the weight of the top box okay?

9. Just a quick question mate - forgive the opening gambit but how is the missus' ass? I mean when 2 up on the bike and when sending it on a bit, does she slide back onto the hard edges of the rack?? I have an SWM EVO Cargo Tail Bag 50L - upload_2019-10-14_15-42-1.jpeg that is tapered to fit the pillion area... wondering if it will slip onto this rack without A: Fouling my LED signal lights, B: Give the girlfriend a dig in the ass or hips. Shes a small lass anyway and unless we have a row, we'll be fairly snug I should imagine, but not guarantee! As small creep into her space may also offer her some padding if we pack strategically..... Noted not to lean on it like favourite arm chair, but enough top counter hard aceleration should be fine. As for the strength, we will only carry around 5 to 8 kg's, again smart packing with heavy to the front etc... and i wondered would running a strap from the two top holes in the rack closest to the pillion seat and run them over the grab rail to the rear footpeg mounts...would should counter any excess load or bounce or is that plane too biased to pulling down and increasing the load tension?

Cheers. Lee

10. i don't think you will get a reply from an old thread , he has not been seen for over a year now.:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information