1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Termi Re Packing

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Skidmark66, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Was at snetterton last week and fell foul of noise test gestapo. Any how cut long story short managed to get on circuit and not ping ride by which was a bonus.
    Question is how difficult or hopefully easy is it to check or get my cans re packed if need be. Im not sure weather this will solve the problem 100% but am willing to give it a try if it will help. Even better if there is anyone who has done this and would like to do mine for a fee then im prepared to talk to them.
    Mark.

2. I have done mine on my 748R and it was a fairly easy job. I did make the "mistake" of using stainless steel rivets which were incredibly difficult to compress and took a lot of effort.

Beyond that it is an easy enough job and I used Acoustafil for the silencing material. Their site has a calculator which tells you how much you will need in terms of length. The beauty of this material is that it expands when hot to fill all gaps and is a lot easier to use than more conventional packing material as you only need to lightly wind it around the silencer core. It makes reassembly of the whole exhaust system much easier.

The water dripping out has stopped now and using DB Killers and adjustable baffles in my exhaust now gets the noise well within the limits of all tracks I have been to including 97db at Mallory Park.

I have posted about this before.

"Just a quick update, job done. The Acousta fil was easy to use and I just about had the correct length according to the calculator. I can't say it sounds any less louder though, maybe just a little. I was a bit disappointed there.

One thing I will never do is use stainless rivets again they were really hard to close up and I had to brace the riveter, which is a decent one, against the work bench and push really hard to get the rivet to snap off.

The originals were gone though and the carbon was starting to burn away on one can. I notice that water leaks out of one rivet on startup which is also annoying but I hope that might stop with a bit of build up of carbon\crap etc"

Acousta-Fil Infill Calculator

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Can you remember how much of this stuff you need for a pair of cans. I only ask because it would be better if I could buy the Acousta stuff before I start disassembling the cans to save time really.
    Mark.

4. the link has a calculator on it for round or oval silencers, so not sure which you have, given you bio says 999 engine in a 748! I guess for round and oval silencers it is not such a perfect/exact science, but +/_ a few mm won't kill it due to it expanding to fill as necessary.

5. Yep sorry my fault oops

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information