1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 1198spr Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Bullitt, Nov 21, 2015.

1. That is stunning paintwork! Congratulations!
    When are you hoping to get it out on track?

• Like Like x 1
  2. +1,looks great,all of it a cracking project

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks buddy.

Not too sure as the track dates have yet to be released out here - s.o.p. for this neck of the woods....!

4. What a fantastic read and the bike looks amazing - bet it goes like a scalded cat :smiley:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks fella. I see you're UAE based. No doubt we'll bump in to each other one at the AD or Yas - not literally of course!! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mabrook matey! Can't wait to see this in person at the AD. You've got me itching to take the 1098R apart and start cleaning/tweaking now!

8. Where's the final pics!?!? I'm doing a very similar build on my 1098 and you given me some great ideas on the full6 carbon and paintwork. Gorgeous! Nice job!

9. Thanks for all the posts and messages guys. Sorry I've not been on here for a while, just have so many other things going on just now.

The panels are to be ceramic coated soon, so after that I'll get them put on and take some pictures.

Sadly, I'll miss my first local track day of the season due to work commitments, but hopefully I'll get her on track very soon and report back.

I can't wait.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well, here we have the 99.5% complete pictures.

The bodywork cam back from being ceramic coated a few days ago and I put all the bits together last night.

I'm very very happy with how it looks and the finished product.

IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0712.JPG IMG_0713.JPG IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0718.JPG

I only have the following to do and she'll be done:

• Install airtubes and rad shroud. (Waiting for nuts and bolts).
    • Install seat cowl vent mesh (Waiting on parts arriving).
    • Install carbon seat bum-stop. (Waiting for nuts and bolts).
    • Re-plug right bar end (Installed the carbon lever guard but didn't like it. This era of bike never had them, and I ain't pro racing).
    • Design and make belly pan and race nose cone Dzus brackets. (Corse RS items are a fortune, and I mean a fortune).

I'm not too sure when I'll get the chance as I'm mega busy with work, but when all complete I'll post the weight saving list and hopefully a video or two.

Hope you guys enjoyed following my build, it's been very very challenging with a few sad life events along the way. But all in all, I really enjoyed the project and will probably do another one again.

Thanks guys. ;-)

• Like Like x 15
  11. VERY nice indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  12. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  13. FLIPPIN AWESOME :handok::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ha! I see I'm not the only one who's brought some nice Italian art up the lift and into the high-rise flat! Nice work Bullitt, nice work. One question, you've spent a ton of quid and done all this work, but I'm curious about the rear suspension, did you get the Corse flat rocker and the Ohlins DU343 (The shortened rear shock). My understanding is that this was developed for Bayliss and also used on Checa's 1098RS and really helps reduce the rising rate effect the standard rocker creates and keeps the rear end more firmly planted with less wheel spin out of slow, hard acceleration corners. Especially since you plan on being on the track! Corse Rocker Link (Kyle Version).jpg

#114 DJ23, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Luvly bloody jubbly :upyeah:

16. Here's a my current project with the updated rocker arm, the shortened DU343 (TTX GP) and the shorter connecting Link (As well as the longer swingarm). Kind of hard to tell because the front part is hidden, but it's quite a bit flatter that the standard rocker. The latter is a big work in progress (Cutting, sanding, shaping, sanding, fabricating, sanding, welding, sanding...) since I cannot find a 1098RS swingarm anywhere. (Big sigh...) Corse Style Rockerarm Installed (Kyle Version).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Flat link is on the list, but I'm searching (like you) for an RS swing arm with all the proper corse bits that go with it.

Almost had one last week, but just wasn't fast enough.

What is your project? Details/pics please?

;-)

18. LOL, you and I both (Looking for the 1098RS Swingarm)! Well my friend you've got great taste! You have a much better chance of finding one in Europe than I do here in the states. Well, I should start a post, but right in the middle of my now (8 month long build/upgrade) I got hit by car on my other bike (Cruiser - Honda VTX1800). Nothing broken but right foot trapped under 800lb. bike and badly sprained as we slid about 25 yards. Lots of bruising and road rash, so trying to heal up now. This happened 9/9/16 and just started bearing weight on right foot last week. So project is on hold for a another month or so. Parts are still coming in, and it has been an interesting build. Just finding the parts for the Akrapovic Evo exhaust was nuts, found various parts from all over the world, Slovenia (of course) carbon cannisters and collector, the Netherlands (Old 1198 Race system), totally beat up, Germany (1098 headers) and here in the states (End caps) to make a complete set. Looks brand new now, but I'll post in new thread, sorry should NOT be posting pics here on your thread. Funny, I looked at the Full Six Carbon and the FG200/300 forks you have on yours and those two items alone are just under $20,000 here in the U.S. I bought my 1098S for $9500 with 6K miles, in 2012. Didn't ride it but a few times on the street and then took it to the track earlier this year in May when it showed it's weakness (Damn thing did not turn in slow corners). It was then I decided to do the upgrades and create a track only bike. Not doing the two items mentioned earlier and it's already up to over $30,000 U.S. total. I think my next investment will just be a Desmosidicci with 2007 GP body work and exhaust just like Stoner's... or perhaps a Superleggera??? Who knows... FYI on the Forza Moto Site, they have a Factory Corse Rear Suspension rocker for pretty cheap right now.

#118 DJ23, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  19. Better photo of the flatter rear suspension Rocker. IMG_0246.JPG

20. Sorry to hear about hear about your off. Hopefully you're getting better.

I'm actually based in the UAE so the chance of you finding an RS swingarm arm far far better than mine. Best way to get these part is through networking and making contact with various people via friends of friends. They are still out there, link/shock/adjuster complete units too. Just a case of waiting for them to pop up or hearing about them.

I have the SP, so it comes with the TTX shock and seems to suit my fine. I'm sure "if" I find an RS swing arm, it'll only be a good thing for the bike.

Start a thread about your bike. Plenty here would enjoy reading about it ;-)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information