1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 848 Wheelie Issue

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by slinky848, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Italics bit above would probably cause slip if the clutch was at fault. easy to test for slip of the clutch, get moving and click up to say 3rd or 4th gear and ensure the bike is sitting at low rpm in the new gear then give a fair bit of throttle - the torque being applied would usually cause clutch slip in this circumstance.

if it is only in 1st when giving it beans from start, it is more likely to be as @Birdie and @Martyducati suggest, i.e. the gear hasn't got quite into its fully located position and jumps out. Usually happens more on older bikes due to wear of the gearboxes. deffo worth taking it in under warranty, regardless if it is clutch or gearbox, they will either tell you it's clutch and you have to replace yourself, or they will have to fix the gearbox.

with respect to wheelie control systems, I have no idea what they are, but expect it could be traction control reading that the rear wheel is moving faster than the front wheel and kicking in (assuming it is an evo with DTC), but this would flash red lights on the dash (I believe) and correct itself immediately once the front and rear wheels are at the same speed (approximately).

Pete

2. fortunately for me my dealership dont know me as slinky848

i dont see what im doing wrong. i bought the bike 2nd hand with 6month warranty. and this goes wrong with the bike.

ok fine stop doing wheelies. but what happens past the 6months warrenty when i go to track it and its useless because i cant give it the beans

3. No worries, you are not allowed to do wheelies on tracks either.

HTH. :)

4. really? even small lowish under power ones?

5. because i now have some views in this post, i will now also slip in another question.

on my 50mile treck yesturday. (again pushing it harder than just a normal ride)

i eventually came to a red light and came to a stop. i put it into neutral. hands off the bars. then..... silence. it cut out. i pressed the starter, fired straight up and idled fine.

its only done it once and only after my first ever fast ride.

temp gayge dudnt say it was overheating. i get no issues atall when just toodling. and its only done it once. any views or clues on that?

other than i make my beutiful ducati sound like a heap of crap if this forum ( its a wonderful bike, rides wonderful, theres just some niggles)

6. Again this is something that can happen in my experience, when I pull up at a stop under them circumstances I tend to feather the throttle for a second or two just to let the idle settle, this seems to help. It's all about getting to know your bike.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1

7. ok cool so likly not to be somthing like timing or somthing that could harm the engine. just give it a bit of a breather after going for it and comming to a stop

8. Ask your dealer to reset the wheelie-ometer sensor and to make sure the Ground Zero calibration is correct.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. if ground zero calibration was the cause the engine would be cutting out completly would it not?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. you mean the engine cut off when its upside down? xD

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I took an 848 on a test ride many years ago and can safely testify that they do indeed wheelie! In fact the only thing that can stop them is wear in the gearbox. If my 848 was under warranty and did this I would return to dealers without mentioning wheelies but saying it's jumping out of gear under hard use. Less said the better. Shh

• Like Like x 1
  12. thats exactly what i plan to do

• Like Like x 1
  13. There is no wheelie control. snap the throttle and you will flip it. If it does it regularly, worn gearbox as said above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. snapping full throttle in 1st builds the revs up and starts to lift the wheel at about 5k?

15. Snap it at 3k and it will flip you off if you don't change gear ;)

And don't listen to the old dodgers; nothing wrong with wheelies :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. oh you meam clutch snapping?

as i said i dont want to do blance point wheelies,

just a little frontal action [emoji12]

remind me how much of a beast it is.

17. Its more likely that you werent firm enough with your gearchange.Go somewhere out of the way and practice.A bike is for having fun.

18. Nope. No clutch, just smash gas open and it will flip if you don't roll off the gas first ;)

I find 24mph, roll off them snap gas open and as it gets half up slip into second and start feeding gears.

19. I want to do balance point wheelie! I bought a dirt bike and then a trials bike for that before killing the Ducati!!

20. Haha! I could have written that! :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information