1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 899 Panigale is now in UK dealerships

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by mattmccabebrown, Oct 30, 2013.

1. [h=2]The 899[/h]After recently making a spectacular UK debut at Brands Hatch, the 899 Panigale can now be seen for the first time at dealerships throughout the UK. Dealers will each take delivery of a demonstrator and the first customer bikes will arrive soon after.

Ducati is passionately committed to further development of the Panigale concept both on the track and on the street and the 899 represents a “Supermid” version intended to be a method of entry into the world of premium performance. With carefully designed rider-friendly features, like increased seat cushioning and shorter final drive gearing for enhanced mid-range rideability, the new model achieves a successful mix of authentic Italian performance with everyday usability thereby offering the very best of both worlds in absolute style.

The innovative “monocoque” frame solution and the new 899 “Superquadro” L-twin engine uses race-derived electronics to continue the “bred for the track and trained for the road” mentality. With the click of a button, Ducati’s Riding Mode concept delivers performance with enhanced rider confidence by combining a number of class-leading technologies. The latest-generation sports ABS system, Ducati Traction Control (DTC), Ducati Quick-Shift (DQS), Ducati’s race-derived Engine Brake Control (EBC) and Ride-by-Wire (RbW) are now all programmed into seamless, electronic rider assistance.

Its brand new Superquadro engine features a revised bore and stroke for a broad power delivery, producing 148hp (109kW) with a torque of 73lb-ft (10.1kgm). The super-smooth power unit continues to be a fully stressed member of the innovative Panigale monocoque construction, achieving both an outstanding power-to-weight ratio and ride-enhancing agility with a dry weight of 169kg (372.5lb).
    [h=2]Price[/h] The 899 Panigale will be priced at £12,495 and available in traditional Ducati red with black wheels or a stunning arctic white with red wheels. A TriOptions package is currently available at £139 per month with a deposit of 25% over a term of 37 months and an APR of 5.7%

2. Thanks for that. Test ride booked tomorrow morning :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. hey man did you have the test ride? whats it like? I'm gutted that the 848 is being discontinued. She's sitting beautiful in my garage I take her out almost every day here in Spain and I looked forward to the same shape, same motor, same bike getting better and better. Now, the 899 Panigale is the only option for that engine capacity and I'm pretty upset...I like the Panigale don't get me wrong, but the size/shape of the 848 and the character of the motor makes it the most special motorcycle in existence for me - the Panigale 899 is not a step forward IMO its a side step, its a completely different bike!

4. Yes I did and I liked it. It is more roomy for my 6ft stature than the 848 and felt less top heavy. The digital dash is bigger and clearer than the 848 and it is easy to flick between the modes, race, sport & wet. And it sounds ace, had to stop halfway through the ride to put my ear plugs in! It certainly turns heads, probably because it's loud and looks gorgeous.
    Overall it is definitely an improvement, but can I justify trading my 848 in and £7500 out of my bank account?

• Like Like x 2

5. You and I in the same boat.....but in my case it would cost me 11k euro appx to change up from the 848 !

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm 5 foot 8 so is the 899 not a good fit? I'm sticking with my 848 for another 2-3 years at least but I do look towards the future when a bike like the 899 Panigale comes out - the Termi pipes on my 848 are louder than my neighbours 1199 Panigale R so how is the sound note on the 899? Is it a growl like the 848 or a scream? Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm not sure if I would part with your 848 and give £7,500 for a bike that realistically is just an updated version of yours..I would personally wait until its a year old and someone bought too much bike putting maybe 600 or so miles on it. Those are the best buys if u want to avoid losing so much money buying brand new :)

7. I would say 5ft 8 is a perfect fit for it! I'm 6ft and my knees rub the fairing tops but they don't on my 848.

It's a small bike for sure, deffo smaller than the 848

8. Is it as tall as the standard 848 though?

9. The 848 is 800 mm has a seat height the 899 is 830 mm

10. [TABLE="class: infobox hproduct, width: 22"]

[TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Manufacturer[/TH]
    [TD="class: brand"]Ducati[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Production[/TH]
    [TD]2008–2013[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Predecessor[/TH]
    [TD]Ducati 749[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Successor[/TH]
    [TD]Ducati 899[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Class[/TH]
    [TD]sport bike[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Engine[/TH]
    [TD]849 cc (51.8 cu in), 4-valves per cylinder desmodromic liquid cooled V-twin[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Bore / stroke[/TH]
    [TD]94 × 61.2 mm (3.70 × 2.41 in)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Compression ratio[/TH]
    [TD]12:1[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Top speed[/TH]
    [TD]159 mph (256 km/h)[SUP][2][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Power[/TH]
    [TD]115.6 bhp (86.2 kW) @ 10,400 rpm[SUP][3][/SUP]
    117 bhp (87 kW) @ 10,010 rpm[SUP][2][/SUP]
    134 hp (100 kW) @ 10,000 rpm[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Torque[/TH]
    [TD]62 lb·ft (84.1 N·m)[SUP][3][/SUP]
    63.1 lb·ft (85.6 N·m) @ 8325 rpm[SUP][2][/SUP]
    70.8 lb·ft (96.0 N·m) @ 8,250 rpm[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Transmission[/TH]
    [TD]6-speed, wet clutch[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Suspension[/TH]
    [TD]Front: Showa fully adjustable upside-down forks, 127 mm (5.0 in) travel
    Rear: Showa fully adjustable monoshock, 120 mm (4.7 in)travel[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Brakes[/TH]
    [TD]Front: Two 320 mm semi-floating discs, radial Brembo 4-piston calipers
    Rear: 245 mm disc, 2-piston caliper[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Tires[/TH]
    [TD]Front: 120/70 ZR17
    Rear: 180/55 ZR17 [SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Rake, trail[/TH]
    [TD]24.5°,[SUP][1][/SUP] 97 mm (3.8 in)[SUP][3][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Wheelbase[/TH]
    [TD]1,430 mm (56 in)[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Dimensions[/TH]
    [TD]L 2,100 mm (83 in)[SUP][4][/SUP]
    H 1,100 mm (43 in)[SUP][4][/SUP]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Seat height[/TH]
    [TD]830 mm (33 in)[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Weight[/TH]
    [TD]168 kg (370 lb)[SUP][1][/SUP] (dry)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Fuel capacity[/TH]
    [TD]15.5 l (3.4 imp gal; 4.1 US gal) incl 4.1 l (0.90 imp gal; 1.1 US gal) reserve[SUP][1][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Fuel consumption[/TH]
    [TD]44 mpg[SUB]-US[/SUB] (5.3 L/100 km; 53 mpg[SUB]-imp[/SUB])[SUP][2][/SUP][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="align: left"]Related[/TH]
    [TD]Ducati 1198[/TD]
    [/TR]

[/TABLE]

11. When I sat on it at the NEC it felt much lower than 830 mm, I'm only a 30" inside leg and it fitted me fine, my 600 SS is 810 mm and the 899 felt about the same dimensions

12. Yeah I can't believe the 848 is only 800mm? That's lower than a gsxr750, that has to be wrong?

13. It is wrong. It's 830mm as I stated before. I had to have mine lowered and I have a 30" inside leg.

14. It must be wrong, the Hyper 796 is listed with a 825 mm seat height, I sat on both and there is no way the 899 is higher

15. Either way it's only half the story. I think the 899 is even skinnier that the 848 around the tank and I didn't think that was possible.

I went back in to the the local Ducati dealer and sat on my old Daytona 675 the other week, felt SO alien; funny what you get used too!

16. It is the slimness that makes a huge difference.

17. That's what I said to the miss...... oh.. ...

18. statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy…with their seat height!

19. 848 Sir,…….hi hooooooooo………………..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Narrow seat makes short legs reach further

Do Not Sell My Personal Information