1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mt-10?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Stonesie, May 27, 2016.

1. Maybe. But the funniest thing ever is middle age bikers spending big bucks on carbon and new exhaust systems to 'save weight'. When realistically it would be more benefit to lose the beer belly and shed a few stone!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 210Kg wet won't be far off 192Kg dry will it? 192 Dry is the Triumph Speed Triple. 207 wet for the Monster 1200R.

• Like Like x 1
  3. After a bit over 2 hours I think I need the MT in my life, without trying to echo professional reviews the main points for me are.
    Comfort, it's about equal to the Multistrada, no aches or pains after 2 hours on the standard seat and although the ride is firm it did not kick me in the kidneys like the STR did.

Wind protection, the blast hit just below my helmet at motorway speeds with my lid in clean air, no buffeting at all even well into naughty speeds and less wind noise than the Multi with either Puig or touring screens. (Shoei GT-Air)

Handling, it's got the R1 suspension softened up slightly, the thing is on rails and just inspires way more confidence than the Multi, feels like a bigger, more grown up STR. For such a short bike it's very stable.

Brakes, the rear triggers the abs with about the same pressure as the Multi takes to just start working, the front is progressive and powerful with no soft feeling that so many moan about... Then again, the guy who had it yesterday was a motocross racer and thrashed the stuffing out of it so they were well bedded in.

Fuel economy, Errr, pardon? Look at that lovely metallic blue... Fuel economy, it has some, I did £10 of shell's finest 95 octane glug in 61 miles (31mpg) without riding like an arse all the time, it's a thrashed demo mule and not fully run in yet so that may get better with age... The multi is averaging 51mpg since it's re-map.

Gearbox, very nice, it doesn't know what a false neutral is and probably doesn't need a quick shifter, although one is available and it has a slipper clutch, I did blip the down shifts just to hear that crossplane engine.

Engine, it is a fantastic piece of kit, nice growly punchy and very smooth, overtakes can easily be dispatched on the torque above 5K or knock it down a cog or 2 to save the front tyre and engage 'batshit' mode.

I really should have worn my leathers as I found myself moving sideways and hanging a knee out, then I thought 'No you fool, if that knee touches you've just written off a £200 pair of trousers, and it might hurt'

All in all, Needs more noise and hopefully the re-map will improve the economy. The looks will always divide opinion.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Nice words. I ride a 2014 Tuono but have itchy feet. Was hoping the Monster 1200R would be good enough reprise for Ducati back into the naked game but it's still roadster like its kin.

I've booked a test on a MT-10. So @Stonesie , you buying one?

5. A MATE IS TESTING ONE FRIDAY. COULD SELL MULTI AND HAVE SOME TO SPARE.

Oops caps lock

6. I think I might, but SMC have offered less for the Multi and have said that extras are worth nothing to them, J&S, not being a Ducati dealer have offered more and made noises about giving some value to extras as they make the bike an easier sale for them.

I'm riding J&S's demo on Friday (greedy bugger) and will have a chat with them. If they do me a good deal then a black one could get ordered.

[​IMG]

7. Black is best. Yamaha should drop their brake callipers and start using Brembo! That's the only consistent complaint I hear about the R1 and the MT-10.

8. I think the main problem is the pads, the one i rode had brakes that put the Multistrada's Brembos to shame but as said it has been thrashed so the pads will have been bedded in fully. Gentle use may glaze them up.

9. They must be brill then because my multi brakes are some of the best I've ever used even with spongy soft lines

10. Best brakes I've used were Nissin ones on Kawasaki. Awesome feel and stopping power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. What's it like size wise for a long shanks like me? I have been having a look at the MT10 for some time. I like the list price of £9999 for a brand new naked yamaha R1! I believe it has more low down torque than the R1.

12. Its about an inch lower than the Multistrada so quite tall but i can flat foot both feet easily with my 33" inseam and am not hunched up at all, the forward lean is only slight so no weight on the wrists either.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I've owned an MT10 since July, for 10K it really is a great bit of kit. I'm 6ft 3 tall and find the Yamaha just as comfortable as the Multistrada, plenty of leg room which is better than the Speed Triple I had after the Multi.

Compared to both the Multistrada and the Speed Triple this MT 10 is just mental....the engine is immense. Even with the traction control on it will wheelie off the throttle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It is quite short geared compared to the R1 and I've added the £200.00 Yamaha quickshifter which suits the bike great and is such fun to use. The noise the crossplane engine makes is intoxicating and many owners are de-catting their machines.

Handling wise I would say its very similar to the Speed Triple, probably a bit quicker to turn in although I think I was just as quick in the corners on the Multi.

I would say there are a couple of issues if I were buying this bike to tour on:
    Fuel economy; it has a 17L tank which even with sensible riding puts the fuel light on at 90 miles and is totally empty at 120 miles. Many owners call their bikes the 'empty 10'
    There are no factory proper panniers, just some semi ridged items, the rear seat and very high passenger footpegs will not win any thumbs up from the Mrs.

Looks wise I think Yamaha have been quite brave, it is unusual and quirky. Personally I think the Ducati was stunning looking, pity it was so unreliable.

Talking of reliability I'm at 4 months and 1300 miles with the Yam, a new model and have had no issues what so ever. Its nothing like the experience of being a new adopter of the Multi in 2011 which had to be returned to the dealer 3 times in that time. No false neutrals in the Yam gearbox. The front brake on the MT probably isnt the best but certainly not as bad as some make out and I've heard they can be improved with some Brembo pads.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I forgot to update this thread, since the 4th of July I have been enjoying the MT-10, J&S still have the Multi... I would buy it back if I won the lottery to use as a fast tourer.

Mine is wearing a cheap de-cat as I baulked at the price of the Akrapovic system which gives virtually no power gain and sounds a bit 'hollow' to my ear, so £220 for a Delkevic de-cat and carbon can was better for the wallet and gives a deeper tone... Although now I want the Arrow system.

For the brakes I fitted a set of EBC EPFA HH pads, they are a great upgrade and even work in the wet. The bike has 2200 miles and has been back to the dealer twice, run-in service, then a health check as I was not sure if the mid range vibes were normal or not, after a friend rode it he had me convinced there was something amiss but the mechanic gave it a clean bill of health after a test ride.

Comfort is fine for me, about equal to the multi.
    Tank range is a bit poor, allegedly Yamaha are bringing out a new tune next year for better rideability, it might help the MPG too, the Multi had about equal peak power and torque numbers and was averaging about 50mpg compared to the MT's 38, but the MT does encourage harder riding, when my friend had a go I took his mildly tuned blackbird and kept pace with another friend on a hyabusa while he disappeared into the distance power wheelieing out of every corner (up in the boarders/countryside) he wants one but his Mrs says NO! He described it as riding a wild animal, but also controlled and fun, not scary at all.

[​IMG]

#34 Stonesie, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Theres no doubt that the motor is amazing but styling is down to the user/owner - fair play to yamaha stepping out of the comfort zone with regards to where they went with the look but its subjective, none of the mt range do anything for me. Going back to your exhaust i think a set of arrow headers would yeild better results but only with a roll on the dyno to get a custom map on there and thats the problem for most people....they buy a brand new bike - moan about the fueling (im not saying you, just generally) but then dont want to get it mapped "cos its a new bike and it should be good out of the box..." and then to further the heartache start to adjust the exaust giving even more problems with fueling, again, just generalizing. I was in that position or not as it were, as soon as i picked up the bike 2 years ago the full system was waiting at home, then, the pair system was removed and in turn it hit the dyno, and, literally never looked back. I decided the warranty could take second place to the mods/fueling as the z1000 is typically a robust and reliable engine and its proved to be with not one issue in 2 years and had amazing fuel economy and performance to boot.

The general rebuttal of the above statement is "well why should i have to get a brand new bike dyno'd" - and i would say because as much as Ducati/kawasaki want to give you a great bike theyre still restricted by what the eu will let them do with the ecu...

Just to put a twist on it, our family car is exactly the same...same thing. Weve got a 2013 smax titanium xsport with a stock bhp figure of 163. Mileage at the time was 9000. An initial pull on the dyno yeilded 180 odd bhp which the dyno bloke was impressed with then after a reflash of the ecu it jumped up to just over 200 with a beautiful 2nd gear torque curve. The also closed the egr valve to stop exhaust being pushed round the engine (this keeps the engine cleaner internally) Ironically again, when it was done it was still under warranty but ford didnt mind. The car is totally stock and has just sailed through the mot. I did ask the dyno bloke "what was the emission count?" to which he said "normal, if a tiny bit below". ( i was thinking if the egr vavle was closed it might up the emissions) but it didnt...

So, i think youll see everything get alot nicer with a full system and a day on the dyno... :)

16. Took a test ride on an MT10 today at Bransons. Really liked it.
    It's been a terrible year for me works wise which has hit the finances hard, but I've now got a full diary for the next six months so I had half a notion to sell the Superduke while I can still get 10 grand for it, kill off the overdraft then keep my head down over winter and perhaps buy an MT10 instead in the spring.

So I took a ride today to see if I could live with the MT as a replacement for the Superduke. I was very pleasantly surprised. I confess I don't really like I/L fours and I really can't get on with BMW's four, whether it's in the RR, the S1000R or the XR. It just feels too anodyne and you have to rev it so hard to get the performance it feels like you're abusing it. The MT10 is fab in comparison. Vastly more characterful and engaging. It never felt busy like the BMW and there was no sensation of having to chase the revs. Best power was above 8000 rpm but it had enough bottom end punch and mid range interest so that even though I was revving it, I never noticed the revs building and it didn't feel like a conscious effort was needed to spin the motor.
    Bottom end is fun and gutsy, and while it's got nothing like the midrange of the KTM it's by no means flat and by far and away the most willing and meaty four I've ridden in a long time. I could definitely live with it. Then there's the lovely muscular top-end which starts good and early and at first I thought, wow, this might be as fast as the Superduke. Hmmm.

Can't say I had any compliant about the brakes. I thought they were at least as good as the Superduke's. Nothing wrong with the chassis either. Didn't have the time or opportunity to really push it hard but it felt thoroughly competent and the ride was less harsh over the bumps than the KTM. The whole bike was pleasingly narrow for a four and didn't feel heavy like they usually do to me. My only immediate complaint was the abysmal seat which feels cheap, rock-hard and lumpy. That would have to go. I've also got serious reservations about the durability of the finish and the general quality of the cycle parts. I's 3 grand cheaper than a Superduke and it's not hard to see where the savings have been made. People (who haven't owned one) tend to doubt the build and finish quality of KTMs but two years in mine still looks mint and on close inspection side-by-side does look a bit more premium next to the MT.

Would I replace the SDR with an MT10? It would all come down to how the KTM compared back to back when I got back on it.
    The MT10 felt so good because it exceeded my expectations but getting back on the Superduke there is absolutely no doubt it is faster and more powerful everywhere. Nor did it feel agricultural in comparison as I'd expected. The quantities of throttle I'd been grabbing on the MT were producing instant wheelies in the first four gears on the KTM where they hadn't on the Yam and I had to recalibrate my throttle hand. Nevertheless the MT10 is a fantastic, fast bike and its easily the most fun, characterful and engaging I/L four I've ridden to date but in terms of outright performance the KTM is a step ahead and does feel a bit more special and more of a brute.

I'd still have an MT10 but my idea of trading down from the SDR for financial reasons was based on a 10 K price tag for the MT but they've crept up and they're £11500 now and the SP version is the same price as the Superduke.
    If I could have bought a new MT in six months time for the price I could sell my SDR for now, I'd have seriously considered it but as it is, I'll be keeping the Superduke. Love the MT10 though. I get it and if I was buying a I/L four supernaked, that's the one I'd pick.
    It would have to be a blue one though. Grey and lime green? God alive, what were they thinking...

#36 Gimlet, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. At the start of that i thought.....whats the point, just keep the sdr....

18. Just paid a tad over 12k for a brand new, top lime, all tricks plus motorsport paint s1000r.

• Like Like x 5
  19. still gonna hang around then?

20. Nah. I’m joining Wayne on the ktoom forum lol

Damn right. All this I’ve met have been decent people, and I still want to ride my bike, tour, mess about in Wales, try and keep up with @cookster et al :upyeah:

Unless I’m not welcome

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information