1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "n" Word..

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bluehawk, Jan 13, 2015.

1. I have a small enquiry, since its 'topical'...

If a word greatly offends one group or race to the point of them finding it abusive, why is it OK for that group to use it freely and informally without penalty...? And if its so offensive, why use it and be happy for other ethnicities to buy your literature, music etc that trades on that reputation?

This follows for lots of other races and groups too....

I'm genuinely not just trying for a reaction, its just there seems to be some imbalance about how minority groups are treated, to the point of no one being able to comment on anything for fear of so called "offence"....

2. I suppose one way of looking at this is if a member of the majority population says something derogatory about a minority, they are imposing acceptance of such derogatory terms upon said minority. This is different from said minority "imposing acceptance" upon themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Do you mean 'Nonce' or 'Nun'? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I get that, but if it is derogatory and you then embrace that expression, where does that take the argument?

Surely it should be dropped out of use. If we're saying its our word and you can't use it, should we be offended? Does it fall under freedom of speech?

5. Go and wash your mouth out!!!

It was nincomp**p....

6. If Guy Gibson (or his dog) were still around, there would be a problem....

7. Navy, then?

Or Navvie?

Nearsighted, maybe....

8. .....and what happens to the woodpile?

9. Maybe it's not ok and that they are ignorant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Freedom of speech doesn't, in my opinion, trump the right of a (non-proselyting) minority not to be oppressed. The word in question is not "The Word of God", it's not a rallying cry to revolution, it is a derogatory term whose usage as such has not completely died away. It's use, historically, has always been understood for what it is and as such, cannot be used in that way in a free and fair society.

Do I feel oppressed by someone using that term upon themselves? No, I do not. Therefore its use neither offends nor oppresses me.

It's a good question though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. a BBC DJ got the sack after playing :-

12. The song is a crime, certainly. But a hate crime?

13. life is just to complicated, i am glad i live in the middle of nowhere land and live simple life. the only place i can insult with out recourse is on ere

14. Fin,

Some of the sheep must be offended on a regular basis, no?:Wideyed:

15. Offended, or flattered by the attention? Which is it, fin?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. not offended, more openended now actually. :Angelic::smile:

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. My son is learning about Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King this term at school. He is 5. Before they started he did not differentiate between white and black, now he sees coloured people different. I can't see how this is a good thing at 5. My wife is fricking fuming, but at least this one is not my fault! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Oh god, someones been watching Big Brother! Interestingly the BBC apologised to the DJ who accidentaly played that record when it was pointed out that the same BBC had aired Pulp Fiction that same week with over 100 N Bombs in it. Double standards me thinks.

19. To answer the OP.

Because people use the means available to them to achieve their objectives and victimhood is a powerful tool.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information