1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thieving Scum

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Casp, Apr 2, 2017.

1. My Louisville Slugger will take care of things just nicely anyhow. If I was to be at home at the time.

2. I'm buying some fuck off great big chains as we speak.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Move to New Zealand no one steals your road bikes here,only farm bikes get stolen.Theifs amoung us! get a dog with a loyal attitude a loud bark and nice teeth.
    If you can't beat them,main them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I spend a lot of time in the USA and over there they have great anti-thieving-scum devices called Glocks. We should have the same over here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Horrible bastards!! Unfortunately there seems to be an epidemic around our ways at the moment culminating last week in the little rats stealing an ST fiesta and killing a little 4 year old girl and putting her grandmother in hospital fighting for her life. My daughter in law is a firefighter and my son in law works at the local children's hospital, so both unfortunately witnessed the aftermath first hand. My solution? probably couldn't say on here for the fuckers, but I know quite a few ladies who would love to be locked in a room with them for 10 mins!!! As you have said, keep smiling, don't let the bastards grind you down and sorry I know it won't make you feel any better but at least no body has died. Keep smiling matey.

6. Respect to your daughter and son in law,they are true heros.

7. #68 Wayne58, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  8. This 12 years old piece in the Daily Mail does nothing except try to muddle the legal position on self-defence in English law, which is actually pretty clear, has always been pretty clear, and has not changed in decades.

9. Oh for gods sake, no need to be so literal, was merely pointing out what we would like to do with scum that steal stuff. Was meant as mildly tongue in cheek. Lighten up a little ??

10. Carlos, not long to Le Mans, see you there.

11. Bloody hell Wingy you are joining the 21st century. Yep see in Vitre for a beer.

12. Sorry to hear about the amount of thefts happening to everyone. Can't have anything nice these days without someone wanting to damage or steal it.

I'm the same as a few others who have commented. I'm very careful when I open the door and make a point of not leaving it open, or closing it before people walk past, even when there's nothing in it. However, when you start up a motorbike, it's impossible to hide what's been stored in there.

I only have a small garage off the back of my property (5m deep 2.5m wide) but solid and easily big enough for a couple of bikes. Just before I started getting into bikes, as well as the standard door lock pins that have anti-tamper plates on the bottom, I added 2 dead lock bolts towards the top of the door that secure into the left and right side posts. They were only cheap, but definitely help beef up the door security as you can't get to the pins to cut them. I'm about to buy another 2 dead locks for the lower half of the door as well.

Inside the garage, we re-screeded the floor and when doing so, we cut out a big lump of it and sunk a U shaped ground anchor tube into it and concrete'd it back in. When parked inside, I use a Kryptonite chain / lock through the floor / bike wheel, plus steering lock, plus alarm / immobilizer. I prefer the thought of the underfloor ground anchor compared to the ones you bolt down, as with enough leverage I'd imagine you could have one off fairly easily? but with one concrete'd into the floor, the chain / lock becomes the weakest link.

When my new Ducati arrives, I'll also be using a disc lock as well.

I'm not sure how much further you could reasonably go with garage security? (standard garage door lock with anti-tamper, 4 dead locks, concrete ground anchor with chain, disc lock, steering lock, alarm immobilizer). Maybe a self destruct timer on the bike? If I can't keep hold of it, you can be sure no one else will be taking it ? ...

13. [​IMG]Ditto!

Definitely the best ground anchor. My old bolt in type came up very easily when the builders needed it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ground anchors and chains and alarms and dogs and guns and moats at home are all fine but how about being too scared to park it anywhere where it's not directly in sight the whole time? I'm driving to work today in a car with a coolant leak cause I'm too scared to leave it outside work for 10 hours. I can't take my 10kg chain with me in a backpack.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Absolutely, it sucks that we have to even think about things like this, and obviously we can't carry every piece of security with us at all times.

Have you thought about a disc lock rather than a chain? I mentioned this to another member on different thread earlier today, but I'm going to be getting a couple of these as they look pretty small / light (in comparison to a chain + lock), but would appear to do a great job. Not sure if anyone else has used one: ABUS Brake disc lock GRANIT Victory X Plus 68 (500301011000)

• Like Like x 1
  16. That's it! Mine's a round tube, but other than that the same thing. Also it's not sticking out of the floor either as a trip hazard. Great buy and very cheap, you just need to put in more installation time, but very good!

17. Disc locks would certainly help with this gang of moped/scooter scumbags who push the bike up the road with their scooters but relatively useless against the van brigade who just lift the bike into their van and drive off :/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I see Ducati are selling the permanent mount calliper disc locks as a official accessory now, obviously it has Ducati added tax, but worth negotiating a good discount if you are buying a new bike, imo they are the best disc locks money can buy.

19. I also saw some of the new range (959 I think) has a free Biketrac fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information