1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Buying A Used 1199.

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Kevster84, Feb 26, 2017.

1. so as I imagine most 1199 owners went through before they bought one. I'm really considering a 1199 for my next bike.
    My experiences with them so far is a good friend who has an S model from new which has had very few issues (won't let me ride it) but looks too stiff for bumpy roads from following him. My other friend had a basic model (with maxton front fork internals) which I got to ride properly and blew me away and I've wanted one ever since.
    But that bike while I was following it shock collapsed. The shock bolts had snapped!
    So obviously I'm worried about buying one without warranty and my other concern is I do 4K a year, so if I keep the bike 3 years that's 12k on top of what would already be on the bike. it's my heart says one thing and my head says just get a zx10r (also a brilliant bike)
    I'd also like to say I wouldn't spend 16k on a 1299 before anyone suggests that. 12k is enough for me. Cheers

2. At some point you're going to have to follow your heart or you'll always regret it.

Answers you get on here are most likely going to be biased in a good way. I.e. Already owners. But you know that.

Let me give you an example.
    Yesterday I walked into a large multi bike dealership and walked straight past the whole Kawasaki range and so did some other guys.

Green means go, red means stop...and stare. We all went straight to the Ducati's and Aprillia's. Enough said.

I've got an 1199s and wouldn't dream of selling it. No problems with it. Ducati's are good now.

The bolt thing was apparently an issue on some very early models, although I think I may replace those two bolt for £8 each, just in case.

Get the S.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I've seen a cradle you can buy to put on shock bolts for race teams. Maybe something they have experienced and found a fix.
    The problem with the s is the stiffness of the ohlins on bumpy roads. I'm only 11 stone so stiff bikes generally don't suit me. I rode my track bike on the road once and I was airborne more than I was on the road.

4. If you didn't get on with the S for whatever reason just get the base and have the suspension set up for your weight

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. #5 Kevster84, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2017
  6. The zx10 and the Panigales are very different machines mate, have you ridden the Kwak?

The front end on the Duc is a showa bf set up and to be honest I really like it.

The rear shock is sachs, it's not the best...

You road or track or both?

7. I've rode the 2014 and 2016 zx10r and yes they are different to a panigale but I'd happily own one. The 2016 zx10r has probably the best front end I've tried of any bike but is obviously missing that soul of the Ducati. And was a bit gutless at the bottom compared to my 5vy r1 that is.

Oh I do have a track bike but I think I'd get rid if I got a panigale and use it for road and track.

8. Many complaints have echoed what you've said about the 2016- zx10 being 'gutless' bottom end, having very high pegs, and the brakes being crap.

End of the day it comes down to taste, I know what I'd rather open the garage to. But that's what makes the world go round.

9. I think with a jap bike you get a safety net of guaranteed robustness which is why I think many revert back to them. Me included hence why buying a panigale is a bit of a risk and why I posted on here. I'm not one for hours of cleaning etc just ride them hard and a quick wipe kinda guy. lol

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  10. I have a hypermotard sp,but also looking for a sports bike. The jap bikes as good as they are just seem so soul less. I fancied a new R1 but it just doesn't have that wow factor for me,I've narrowed it down to 1198S or maybe sp,1199 pani or rsv4. Those 3 bikes are better than me but also are so dam sexy. The rsv was winning until I seen this pic wow IMG_1432.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. Damn thats incredibly sexy.

12. I think the aprilia rsv4 is even more of a risk than the panigale imo. I think most riders have thought of owning one but thought better of it.
    I owned a rsv Mille which was a great bike but the v4 engine doesn't have rotax reliability.

13. With any progressive link rear suspension, the bigger the displacement, the stiffer the suspension gets towards the end of the stroke. The challenge is to get the pre load, compression and rebound set so, for the majority of road surfaces, you are using less than 2/3 of the stroke. At 11 stone you are probably the average weight for the off the shelf spring so it is just a case of playing with the set up to get it right. Don't be put off by something that is adjustable but in many cases, is never adjusted. Andy

14. Did your mate change the settings on the S for bumpy roads? it's only a touch of a button to change to the soft setup and whilst it's not 1299/BMW active smooth it manages fine on most roads. I remember when we went out to the Isle of Man I actually thought I had a puncture going through the Ginger Hall part of the course. I stopped to take a look and realised it was just the suspension being too tight. The next time around I switched to sport mode (default settings are softer) and it was fine.

15. Yeah he's adjusted them quite a bit. He's not really what I'd say clued up on suspension though so could just be what settings he's running.

16. Ah ok, perhaps just rough road then. I literally did nothing other than change from race to sport (or maybe even rain but with full engine power) mode as far as I remember.

17. I don't know where you're from but I'm from the northeast and road up to Alston passed killhope mine is really bumpy with jumps etc. I usually set my bike up for that stretch of road as it has everything you'd come across.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lots of track riders like to get rid of the electronic suspension on the 1199S but I think it's very good. It's plenty good enough for just about anyone on track and it's' great being able to switch settings with just a button press on the road.

19. I suspect you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to RSV4 reliability, I have been using an RSV4 on track since 2009, thousands of track miles, never had one let me down yet. Three Panigales in our Garage at Jerez, not one was running after just two days, all three of our RSV4 Factories were still going strong after four days. Give one a go you may be surprised.

20. Well as I said I owned a rsv Mille and was on the aprilia forum so I do have a good idea of how many threads there are on issues with the rsv4 some still the same on the outgoing model. I'm glad yours is ok though and no doubt an awesome bike when working 100%.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information