1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Of Buying A Used 1199.

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Kevster84, Feb 26, 2017.

1. If you like it then go for it , only Q is should it be standard or S , even that is a no brainier for a few K £ more . I almost did last summer .

2. Nothing wrong with rsv4's

Equally I'd say nothing wrong with panigale build quality either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I always seem to look at the basic model. There's some really good low milers on eBay now.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. Well start looking st the S , for a few £ more

5. Another Forum expert, running a bikes reputation down that he has no experience of what so ever. I have had three different versions of RSV4 since 2009, all just track bikes, never had one issue, other than they were all better than my ability to ride them anywhere near their potential. I also have five friends, all on RSV4 Factories or RF's, they seem to like them, Just ordered my 2017 RF track bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. friends.png

• Like Like x 2
  7. As I'm sat here I'm more tempted to go with an rsv4 for my sports bike,I have a hyper sp for hooning,as with everything you only here the bad stories about bikes not the good. Pani' snapping shock bolts etc,I don't have the talent to get near any of the bikes ability,why the rsv4,the 4 year old in me,they sound awesome And look so good and there cheaper.

8. Wow yeah it's my life long goal to destroy the rsv4 reputation. I personally posted all those threads on rsv4 issues. Oh wait I didn't it was the owners of all those bikes.
    Like I said I'm glad yours is OK but spend 5 seconds on Google and you will see your experience isn't the same as others have had.

But we're talking about the 1199 not an rsv4.

9. Rsv4 is the bestest bike ever and that is true because the internet man said so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ive got a RSV4 factory (an old pre aprc model) owned it for 5 years. It doesn't get a lot of use (ive done 8k in total on it). Its just had its first valve check done at 11k and 3 were out (not by much). Its reasonably easy to strip down (its a small bike so its tight under the tank) but once you've pulled it apart a couple of times you know where it all goes. Just changed the plugs today (as its was apart) first time change and the plug colour is perfect.

Reliability: Mines the worst one apparently and ive had on tps sensor go (20 quid for a secondhander from ebay) and one of the rocker covers leaked so I replaced both with the updated part that was a different shape. That's it....its been totally trouble free, its been to the TT every year for the last 4 (5th time this year) gets caned over the mountain every day while I'm there.

Spent a lot of money on upgrades to essentially make it breath (full akra system, sas removal, k&n, modded ecu, heavy starter cables, lithium battery, upgraded nitron race pro rear, modded ohlins setup on the forks, factory qs added) loads of other stuff I cant remember.

I know everything is geared at electronics packages (so the magazines tell you if you haven't got that you've got fuck all) but I love the rawness of it all and if I really want to I can strip the thing and add aprc but I don't really feel the need to...

I don't want to sell it as for me it does everything a race bike should do and yeah, fucking hell - what a noise...
    IMG_20160205_115422.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  11. Lovely bike and as I've said I'm sure they're awesome to ride.
    My current road bike a 5vy r1 which I only bought while I decided which of the newer bikes I wanted has got zero rider aids and power wise is really strong but handling wise it's Sunday league compared to the 1199. Especially after riding my 600rr track bike.

12. The rsv4 can be a lottery with regards to reliability (ill be the first to admit it) as ive been on the af1 forum for the same time as ive owned the bike. Ive seen posts of engine failures as low as 2k but, theres usually a reason - one lad ive started following on you tube had one with 2.5k but when stripped he found out exactly why it failed. I just do the usual maintenance. Oil changes 3k or less with fully synthetic, regularly check the airbox for debris, let the thing warm up...the usual stuff...

On the flip side theres one lad in aus who has the same model as mine and has racked up 60k on the same engine (touring) and just followed the servicing. Another lad has one with 25k of mostly track miles and it still runs fine.

Ive read that the QS can lunch the dogs in the gearbox but, its a cassette jobbie so can be removed from the bike in under 30 mins...so, doesn't really bother me...

13. Yep - the only way I can describe it is a 1 liter 350LC....

14. That makes me want 1 so much more dam you ha hah

15. My 1199s has around 10k miles and probably half of that is hard track miles and it's never missed a beat. I've had to do maintenance type stuff that you would expect on any bike but never touched the engine other than oil changes every couple of track days. It's very easy to pick up a low mileage Ducati because so many people buy them because they are so sexy but then don't ride them much, so you'd be fine doing 12k miles on top of say one with 5k. Sam1199s had his up at 15k miles or more and that was running over 200bhp and faultless when he sold it recently.

16. Well I've had a friend of mine on the phone earlier wanting to buy my r1 so I could be pulling the trigger pretty soon. I think if I don't get one now I never will. Watch this space.

17. Yeah.... Its funny cos when I don't ride it for a while I'll go in the garage, look at it and think "I should sell it cos I hardly use it..." then my mate will call, arrange a night out (weston bike night or something like that).... I sit on it, think, it's so long since I've ridden it almost feels new to me, start it and then think, fuck that, this isn't going anywhere!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. If I had to sell it and buy something else (with a real world budget) I'd buy another rsv4 or a panigale... In that order...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

19. That's it,you can get a rsv4 factory for about 2k ish cheaper than a pani s,and also if you buy from wheels motorcycles they will give lifetime warranty on any rsv4 they sell,new or used. That's some piece of mind that

• Like Like x 1
  20. That's impressive

Do Not Sell My Personal Information