1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thruxton R

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by mentalist, Mar 26, 2016.

1. So was my street triple and i had no issues with it at all, nothing broke, failed or went haywire in 2 years... The mutly lasted a week before it was back to the dealer and is going in again on Thursday for somthing else...

I would gladly buy another "Thiumph"

2. No issue with the Thais. It's just a shame that we don't seem capable of making things here any more.

A lot of the money from the sale of a Thruxton R is going into the Thai economy instead of ours

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I was just looking for a pic to put up myself, but the one up from this is slightly better, cnc'ed seat mount and lots of other trick bits, problem is it touches the dreaded 20k mark again!

4. upload_2016-4-9_15-42-23.png the one !

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Speed Triples are still made here aren't they?
    I thought the Bonneville range had always been made in Thailand so naturally the the Thruxton would be made there too.
    All down to simple economics I guess. The Bonnies, including the Thruxton, are meant to be affordable volume sellers, which they have been,so they need to keep production costs down. Mind you, BMW seem to be able to make very competitively priced bikes in Germany..

6. as a nation wer're getting taller my mate was repainting a Austin 7 for a customer I jumped in and could not believe how small the thing was!

7. They are quite a lot longer from seat to bars that the current model 900, they also are a bit taller. I love them but they are a little more focused than the old one which is both good and bad

8. I've noticed that Pinterest is lousy with photos of café racers. It seems to be real trend.
    I reckon that Ducati were about 10 years too early with the Sport Classics. They'd have a lot more success now.
    Just my gut feeling, of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Exactly!!!! The gt versions were a bit dowdy but the SC's with the nice pipes etc on would be awesome now ! Fair play to Ducati

10. Fair play to them when they re-release the SCs with the learnings they got from the first release.
    Frankly, they are the Ducatis which interest me the most.
    I don't want a sit-up-and-beg, and ever faster bikes that will make me lose my licence ever faster are really of quite limited appeal. What I'd want is a thing that exudes style, and so long at it can cruise happily at a ton (er.. meaning that it will be even happier at legal speeds.. ahem), I don't really need 200 bhp. I'd sooner have outrageous low-end stomp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I agree mate. Would rather ride my dads thruxton over any bike that isn't a sportsbike, I've ridden monsters, speed triples etc and wouldn't own any, it's thruxton retro or sportsbikes for me!

I am going to have a go on the thruxton 1200 when there is a demo I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. seems like every other country is getting them before the UK these are in Australia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Absolutely. Wasn't the first bike to lap the IOM at 100 mph a 500 Norton Dominator? With drum brakes and skinny tyres.. I bet plenty of average road riders couldn't manage it now on modern bikes three or four times the engine and braking power.

In a past biking life I was a regular at the Bulldog Bash, amongst other "grass roots" rallies, and I remember a couple of T120s in the run-what-you-brung drag racing that went like absolute stink. Oil tight, blue-printed, over-bored with hot internals these were 130-140 mph bikes with very little weight that were regularly spanking big Jap fours of the day. They were well known in the custom scene at the time (proper - no hipsters) and they were every day rides.

14. My "crappy" Scrambler was made in Bologna... Advantage Ducati! :laughing:

15. Could be worse. Could be made in Milwaukee.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Happy Days... :tonguewink:

17. Not a Two Wheeled American Tractor?

As for us getting taller, I had a sit in my friends MG midget, I thought I was going to need the roof down and a crane to get back out of the thing :smile: I'm 5'10" but have long legs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. A mate of mine was looking after his boss's collection of old Brits for the last few years and I had the chance to exercise a few. Having tried Gold Star, Commando, Bonneville etc. I have to take my hat off to those riders who pushed the limits (and their luck) on these old crates. Lovely looking things, total survivors, leaky as an old boot and fairly poky, but dear God I felt a bit like I was likely to be ejected or vibrated off at any moment. Starting them alone wore me out, all that tickling of carbs etc. Would keep you fit!

The thought of 140+ on one... maximum respect to the riders and racers that coaxed that out of them. Hat completely off!

19. I'm going to have a test ride on a Fartly Hatefulson this year just for a laugh. There's two I'm interested in, the Fat Fucker and the Break Wind I think they're called.

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. What about the Irving Egli Vincent. (See this month's Performance Bikes):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
Do Not Sell My Personal Information