1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Belt Cover Removal.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ALFAMAN156, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Hi,
    I have a 750ss from 1997 I want to remove the timing belt covers and have them re-painted.
    Once I have removed all of the bolts I find that the oil cooler hose is in the way.
    Can I just undo this?
    Does it turn ok and will any oil come out?
    Could someone please advise me.
    Thank you.

2. Hi, welcome, @Arquebus is the resident guru on 750ss, but yes oil will spill if the union bolts are undone, not massively, stem flow with rag if you just need a few mill for space, have you tried undoing the oil rad mount bolts from the horizontal cyclinder? this may give you some space too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The easiest way to do with the oil hose that gets in the way of the front belt cover is to undo the union where it is just behind fairing stabiliser bar (near the exhaust flange)..........stick your left hand finger over the end of the engine side and pull the cover out, then quickly reconnect the union.

Turn the carb heaters off if you have them, before you do it.

I polished my covers, BTW.

4. I polished mine too, the powder coating seems to respond well to polishing, as did the bronze finish on my frame. It came up like glass

5. I took my belt covers back to aluminium - polished.

6. Thanks for your kind help.

7. Thank you all for your help. Polishing them sounds like a great idea.

8. disconnect and reconnect belts should not present any issues

do you have a 156 alfa

Do Not Sell My Personal Information