1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Belts Tools

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Boltznnuts, Oct 7, 2016.

1. agree on the follow procedure and being safe

2. Problem is those three little cheesey bolts do effect belt tension, that's why they should be loosened to set the tension of the belt itself, not tension the belt between two fixed pulleys that will more often than not increase the tension on one side of the run and decrease it on the other. That's why Ducati use this method as do many Ducati service shops - which is where I was shown the factory method.

I do it the 'long way' now unless it's just a basic 'safety check', although I used the allen key method for years, then swapped the allen key for a microphone and frequency meter.

We're lucky that the tension isn't super-critical - there's a good 10ish% tolerance we can easily get away with either side of the optimal recommended value.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Fair play. Ive learnt something.
    So the cams are concentric?
    Cheers mark

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Air Duck thanks for the info,so I'm going to have to buy the camshaft pulley holding tool,loosen the 3 cam head screws.I gather loosen both intake and exhaust camshaft pulleys headscrews.I gatherThe camshaft pulleys must be slotted so as not to upset the timing.

5. Is the camshaft locking tool the 'toothed figure of eight' device?

6. The screws on the pulleys have nothing to do with tension. They are part of the procedure for replacing the belts, in order to set the cam timing, but they are locked off and the timing tools removed prior to tensioning the belt. Belt tension is purely down to the adjustment of the tensioner pulley.
    There is a tension specified specific to setting the timing, prior to locking the screws down, but this is quite a bit higher than the running tension.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Double checked my sanity on this today. A later manual I have checked does in fact show the pulleys being done up after tensioning. However, IMO, this could give rise to a small error in cam timing. I still lock these off under an increased tension, then back off to service tension.
    Just to clarify though, the pulleys have/should have no bearing on belt tension and should not be relied on for tensioning. That is the purpose of the eccentric pulley.

8. Hell,if the cams are looked by said tool then undoing the cam pulley headscrews to tension the timing should not waive.Or am I just not reading it right.

9. To be honest I just cant work out why you would need to loosen the Cam Drive pulleys to enable correct tension on the belt(s)? Do the rocker/valve springs impact on tensioning the belt correctly?

10. I guess it's all explained by Air Duck.Makes sense.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information