1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Much Oil

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Hey

Checking my oil level today on 996 and I have slightly more than a full sight glass. Dead vertical on cold engine I have no gap at the top, just.

Last oil change/top up was about 200mls ago and not by me.

Is it worth dropping out some oil?

Thx

2. Probably not. But if you're worried, rather than undoing the sump plug making a mess and doing it up wet risking weeping, suck a bit out of the crank case with a syringe and a tube. If you haven't got one, a 50 ml syringe and a short length of tube is always useful for filling and bleeding clutch and brakes systems. You can buy the syringe for about £1 from a vet and the tube from Homebase B&Q etc.
    I did the same thing on my SF once. Sucked out about and egg cup full to get it right again. Probably made bugger all difference but it took ten seconds and made me feel batter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Hi mate. Don't drop it out. Just get some thin plastic tube and a suitable syringe on t'other end and draw it out that way, through the oils cap hole. Doing it like this will let you get the level spot on...
    I try to get my level half way between min and max.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Beat me to it! :)

5. Great minds think alike. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I love you guys, why didn't I think of that!

Yeah, got a 100ml syringe for bleeding brakes and plenty of 5mm tube.

Thanks,

Slightly irritated the garage over filled.........

7. Wot they said :syringe: :upyeah:

Yeah yeah :rolleyes: :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Don't drop it out ,why don't you get a syringe and a bit of tube ........oh.

9. Or a bit of hose and a syringe ?

10. Or a tube and suck .

11. I see the Merlot is flowing nicely.......

• Like Like x 1
  12. I will save you the bother of even typing your next question. How do you get a piece of clear tube out of an Engine? :p :Angelic:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Signal.............the best toothpaste for getting rid of the taste of Castrol EP90

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Don't forget to buy a spare litre for when tomorrow the level looks a touch low.....after you've taken out too much. The oil will settle overnight, as the molecules bed down together

(Or not!)

15. If you warm the engine and then check level is it still high?

16. Not tried. Thought the 996 is measured cold. I know some bikes are recommend after running 2 mins and 60sec settled.

17. It was just out of interest how low (if any) the level gets after a quick run up.. I would check mine but i'm away at the mo....

18. Ahhhh here's the anorak stuff.... I've just read 2 different manuals.

The 1st states doing an oil/filter change with a HOT engine and top up to the level on the glass.

The 2nd manual asks for the engine oil level to be checked with a COLD engine but then contradicts by asking for the "oil level to settle, for a few minutes, after running the engine"....

19. Presumably, the bike needs to be dead vertical and not on a paddock stand

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. That's what the manual says. But then how do you know the bike is vertical if working on your own? I prefer to use the paddock stand so the bike is vertical, then check the level at the centre of the spy glass. Obviously the oil level will be higher towards the back of the bike and lower at the front. So I reckon the centre should be about right.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information