1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 To Really Mess Things Up You Need A Computer

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Conradv2, Jul 30, 2016.

1. I've been trying to run the JPdiag on my 999 and things have not gone well.

My trouble started when the bike dropped to one cylinder during a run . The fault code said there was a problem with the coil so I swapped them over but the fault stayed with the same cylinder. I decided then to try and clear the codes with the diagnostic and see if it re appeared on the other cylinder.

I bought the cables as advised and downloaded all as required but I couldn't access the ecu. one forum said try guzzidiag so I did that and got comms. I cleared the faults with guzzidiag. When I now try to start the bike the starter solenoid clicks and then nothing.

Holycrap have I fried my ecu ?

2. Have you tried bridging across the terminals on the solenoid? Might be a duff solenoid.
    Stev

3. Did you charge the battery with all the messing around, if not first start there. then move on stage by stage, I have had this problem.

4. Sounds like flat battery to me.
    Could also be poor earth connection.

5. Charge battery first

6. Wow , panic over . You guys are right on the nail. Flat battery. Strange really cos when I read my own words its pretty obvious. Panic must have set in when I saw the smoke.

OK so the bike fired up on two , revved up then dropped down to one again and the fault light came on. I'm going to have a look at the wiring , connectors etc tomorrow and see if I can find the snag. In the meantime though I'm wondering which software I should be using as I couldn't get the JPdiag to communicate and was only able to clear the faults with the guzzidiag.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Guzzi also let me see the ecu as below- I have a 2004 registered in 2006
    IAW 5AM PF1C
    28640801C
    IAW59MHW010
    0130DD29
    59MAK
    DUC

• Like Like x 2
  7. Conrad, did you get a new or the same fault code from the dash 2nd time around?
    If you fix the fault the fault code is historical, not sure why you need to be analysing/resetting using 3rd party software?

8. The IAW59M is prone to coil driver failure. Contact Antonye as he has had success with repairing them. Alternative is to replace the ECU. The later IAW5AM Ecu is compatible with your bike and they crop up reasonably cheap on eBay. The Ecu would then need flashing to a correct map. Your current Ecu is running a stock 999 map.

With your current Ecu JPDiag/Ducatidiag needs the correct comport for the lead (found via Device Manager) and Slow Init checking.

9. HI Denzil. I didn't have time to look at the code for the current fault , i'll do that tonight. My main aim at this point was to set up reliable comms with the ecu. Only the Guzzidiag would connect. The faults I cleared were historical. I'll post present fault later , cheers.

HI Chris- Thanks for this info. I think there is something else going on rather than actual coil failure so you might be right. I'll go through the steps to make sure anyway and see how that pans out.

I definitely had the port correct. When I click 'connect' the text in the button changed to 'disconnect' and a green line fills out like a loading bar , after a couple of seconds though it changes back to 'connect' and no info appears in the boxes. I'm going to get a new kkl cable and try again. I'll get a new ecu if required but I'd like to be sure. I need to read more about flashing , is that something I could do ?

10. What version kkl? FTDI or winchiphead? The latter illuminates the led when plugged into usb. The latter also needs a soldering mod doing to make it work.

11. What version kkl? FTDI or winchiphead? The latter illuminates the led when plugged into usb. The latter also needs a soldering mod doing to make it work.

12. HI Chris , I was going to research this a bit more . the one I had had a blue led that lit up , described below from ebay.

'FTDI FT232RL VAG COM KKL 409.1 OBD2 K-Line KWP2000 ISO9141 USB FOR VW/AUDI'
    FTDI FT232RL VAG COM KKL 409.1 OBD2 K-Line KWP2000 ISO9141 USB FOR VW/AUDI | eBay

This now has burned components so its in the bin. I ran the connection test program and all was green so I dont know why. Ill be looking for a better quality replacement.

13. Error code is reading the same - 10.2 Hor. Coil shorted to earth

14. Thanks Chris , I have ordered cable from your link and a two pack of relays. Time to get busy with that and report back

Cheers all

15. Hi Denzil. You could have been writing my story in that post, almost identical circumstances. Interesting the coil resistance values , not much in it between the failed and the new. Did you measure the new? Mine is a 2004 bike registered in 2006 but it has the flying lead type which I expected to be more reliable. I'm hoping to do the diagnosis tonight.

#18 Conradv2, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  16. Conrad, new one was 0.68 ohms, spec is 0.65-0.7. When I rechecked the old one (with a new battery in the meter) it was reading 0.2-0.3, probably would just work but not if the resistance is out of the range for the ecu and it shuts it down due to a 'perceived' short. When the coil came out it was wet and corroded, last time out on the 999 in heavy rain was a month before for around 30miles in a series of thunder showers. New design coil looks to be more resistant to water penetration

Edit, another post just in case you did not see it http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/eobd-10-2.32205/

#19 Denzil the Ducati, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. great info Denzil , thanks , ill be locking myself in the garage this weekend

Do Not Sell My Personal Information