1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Track Tyres

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by jock mcsporran, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Just wondering what tyres folks are using for track days on an 899?
    I'm thinking about going to Cadwell on 11th April and it'll probably be cold and/or wet. Not sure the DRC's will cut it.
    Just to be clear, I'm not a regular on track with the bike so will be booking Novice but it doesn't mean I want to tip toe around in the rain just because I've got the wrong tyres on.

2. I've used Pilot Road 4's all the way up to the top of inters with no problems and they are fantastic in the wet though I'm sure others will disagree that they're a good track tyre. As far as DRC's go (used them a bit), they are fantastic in the dry but I personally find they don't heat up that well so requires a good two laps before upping the pace and they aren't great in the wet. I certainly wouldn't want to go too fast in the wet on them compared with a pilot road.

I'm sure you'll get others chipping in but that's my experience from 20+ days on a mixture of pilot road 4's and DRC's, mostly on PR4's.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You're limited to 180/60 so pr4's are out of the question.

Standard Rosso corsas should be okay providing it's not a monsoon and you don't ride like a billy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Done a couple of track days at Cadwell last year, first one was real wet and cold but a dryish line did appear by late afternoon. Couldn't really fault the the standard Rosso corsas. Seemed to cope well considering the conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. You may be able to have PR4s just 180/55 (if they make that size). Not sure if that has an impact on DTC though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah, the 180/60 is the problem. Plenty of options in 180/55 or 190/55 but nobody seems to do a 180/60 in anything other than summer sporty models.

7. CSS run conti 180/55 on there fleet of 959's, spoke to them about it and they had no problems, trouble is if you fit a touring based tyre for a track day that may or may not be wet , you are stuck with them for the upcoming better weather, if you are taking the bike in a van and it happens to be wet buy some proper wets and at least you have them for future days, if you are riding in just have fun on what you have.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've just fit Michelin Power RS tyres to mine, they've been awesome in cold and damp conditions and are supposed to be extremely good on track too. I'd definitely recommend them, way better than the Rosso Corsas in all ways in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. Continental attack 2's were by far the best I fitted to mine. I believe the 3's are even better in the wet. I was on my 3rd rear and still same front for over 4K miles and at least 8 track days plus road trips in Europe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Forecast is looking better now. If it stays like it is then the DRC's should be fine.
    Cheers all, some good alternative options there.

11. I've been using Rosso III in the fast group they're fine if you're not going for lap records. Before that I was using Corsas, SCs, or slicks.
    FWIW all the instructor bikes at Silverstone also use Rosso III and they don't hang about.
    So much BS about tyres - sure SCs stick better (and lean a bit further) but if you ain't racing on em and pay for your own rubber...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information