1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackdays Trailer Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Northan Monkey, Feb 27, 2017.

1. chili sauce on mine...:upyeah:

2. WTF??

3. Would powdercoat be an option?

4. Could be. But it's bloody heavy and my local powder coaters couldn't hang anything like this from their rail.
    Plus the galvaniser's will pick up, blast, prep, dip, and deliver all for £240.

5. Good price.I thought it may be more than that.Anyway,looking forward to seeing the finished job.

6. Hello Trailer fans.
    Progress has been pretty steady for the last few weeks. With a few labour intensive tasks to complete. But I'm hoping I can pick up the pace a bit in the coming weeks. If the weather will allow.
    So here's just a couple of photos of how it's looking.

Laminating the roof spars over the former
    IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

Spar bonded to the side panel
    IMG_2247.JPG

Galvanised chassis.
    IMG_2248.JPG

Next jobs are to complete the second side panel and figure out how I'm going to bond the rest of the main components together whilst keeping it all square.

• Like Like x 4
  7. It's been ages since I updated this build thread.
    Things have been moving forward. But slowly!
    The weather was crap for a bit and as most of the work can only be done out on the drive that halted progress to a point.
    However. Having prepared all the panels as much as I could. I had a busy night assembling last night. Here's how it looks.

IMG_2308.JPG IMG_2309.JPG IMG_2311.JPG IMG_2312.JPG
    Next to do is remake the rearward roof panel because I'm not happy how it turned out.
    Bond the joining strips over the centre line to seal any leak paths. Then final fit the rear panel and tail gate.
    Wire up the lights and paint.

• Like Like x 4
  8. How are you sealing the ply?

9. AWESOME THREAD :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yacht varnish as a base. Then polyurethane white gloss.

11. Rear pads on the Exeo look a bit thin if that's the tow vehicle:p

#51 Biot, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  12. Worry ye not!
    ''Tis in for service tomorrow "

13. A few more evening work and things are going well. Internal construction is finished with all the fixings drilled off and captive nuts fitted.
    Edges of the body are radius'd nicely and all trimmed flush. The body has been lifted off and it has now had a couple of coats of yacht varnish.
    With the help of my mate Tony's Easy up awning. I hope to get the first coats of white gloss on this weekend.
    But I'm pretty please with the fit and Finnish so far.
    IMG_2319.JPG IMG_2320.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. Time for another update.
    After two coats of gloss white all looked great! One or two areas which weren't perfect. But it's a home build trailer so no biggie. However. After the third coat which it needed, the finish is not what I'd hoped for.
    It's gone from a nice smooth finish to a lumpy bumpy texture look! I can only guess the paint was starting to cure as I was painting. Due to the fact that my starting point was fine and the finish was crap. But I'm being picky. It's really not that bad.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    So next up is lights and finishing furniture. Although I've already done the internal lighting!
    image.jpeg

#54 Northan Monkey, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  15. Its a credit to you, super job:upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Needs a few stickers. Venomous live snake transport or the like. May stop peeps having a peek after hours, so to speak :skull:

17. I was planning to order a massive "Ducati Corse" decal for the side. :scream:
    So may opt for "Dog waste collection services" :poop: or "Road kill removal"??

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. I like your build a lot, I actually sell trailers, here in India, so I might just take "inspiration" from your design :joy:

Great Job!

19. Watch it with the pictures or someone from India will copy it, only hope my warning came soon enough :):upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Have just seen a few of these on ebay, 7 day delivery from China.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information