1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trip To Spain

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by LeeMcP, Mar 19, 2017.

1. in was going to get diablo rosso 111 i had bridgestones s 20 on my last 4 gsxr1000i though there great in the rain get lots off west scotland

2. There are lots of petrol stations throughout the Alps. The B500 is rather over-rated (lots of traffic and police) but there are plenty of other excellent roads throughout the Black Forest area (take a Michelin map). Enjoy your trip.

• Agree Agree x 1

3. And coach loads of tourists, especially at weekends. A significant portion is 50kph too.

Wot he said. Or try the Vosges Mountain range across the border, much more fun IMHO. Just watch out for the surprise pavé on some of the hairpin corners.

4. As a different approach from the ferry and/or long trip through northern France we have used the Autotrain and will do it again this year for the EMM (Europen Multistrada Meeting) in Northern Spain.
    You ride to Paris, stick the bikes on the auto train, get a normal TGV to the destination, cheap hotel by the station and pick the bike up in the morning. We did Toulouse in the past, this year we are going to Bordeaux on the way out (for some reason there is no train to Biarritz that day) and Lyon on the way back (we send the bike on ahead of us and get a fast TGV in the morning). Cost is not unreasonable and it saves the long ferry crossing.
    Auto - Train : Billet de train, Voiture - Voyages-sncf.com

• Like Like x 1
  5. Never cross double white lines in a town to overtake, the Guardia Civil really frown on it and then empty your wallet. :pensive:
    Speed camera's are preceeded by the "Radar" signs, and give plenty of warning, they are normally within a couple of miles of the sign. If you trip one, they DO follow you home :pensive:. I have also seen the Feds at Santander issuing fines for recently photo'ed offences.
    Definitely take sick pills, the Pont Aven ship to Santander can be like a mill pond some trips, or feel like Cape Horn on others !!!
    Take a small water proof wind cheater, theres a strong chance you will get wet somewhere in Northern Spain, normally only in brief spells, but the weather can change very quick in the hills of the North, once over the mountains, all is normally good.

Once out of Santander, going across the Pyranees west to east then following coast down eastern spain is a pretty epic way to go. Take the A8 to bilbao then head over the hills, have done it loads and it never gets boring.

The place is a dream to ride, and you will have a fantastic time. The roads are epic, the scenery stunning, and the weather is bliss.....Enjoy :grinning:

#45 Wayne58, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for taking the time to share your useful advice Wayne.

When you say a camera trip follows you home, I assume this is only a fine and not points? Not that I plan on getting either, I'm just curious.

Lee

7. Yes mate, no points, just fines for speeding, not too drastic costs either, but double white line crossing in a built up area will relieve you off 100-200 euros on the spot. I've been fined for the white line thing bloody twice, my own fault, but I wouldn't worry too much mate, it's a great place to ride. I never tire of going there. Enjoy

8. So in preperation for Spain, I booked my bike in for an MOT and tyre change. I was due to collect my bike today in the hope of getting a few days riding in before I leave, but instead I got the dreaded phone call from the dealership to say that the mechanic low sided when testing the bike.

To say I'm devasted is an understatement! To be fair to the guys at the dealership, they were very apologetic and have promised to get my pride and joy repaired in time for next week (I leave in 8 days).

Although it was a low speed slide the damage repair bill will likely run into thousands.
    From what I seen it needs;
    -nose fairing
    -side fairing
    -screen
    -mirror
    -lever
    -bar end
    -shifter assembly
    -hand grip
    -clutch lever
    -fork crash bobbins

Thankfully the mechanic wasnt too badly injured but will be no doubt shook up.... a bad weekend for both us by looks of things.

Any sympathy will be welcome :) haha

#48 LeeMcP, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  9. Mate, that sucks! You seem calmer than I'd be, would be bloody furious.....hope it's fixed on time and they present you with something extra for that immense cock up.

10. Holy shit, sorry to hear that mate. What bike was it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

11. Sorry to hear that hope you get sorted in time ,if not surely a loan bike will be offered ?

12. After convincing me that it wasnt a joke, I was absolutely furious... but I cant fault the guys for the way in which they handled the situation. I'm glad it happened at a reputable dealership where I know it will be repaired to a very high standard.

It was my 899 Panigale mate.

13. They have a few demo bikes that they will strip worst case scenario otherwise I'm sure they would have offered. They said they will work on at nights to ensure its ready in time.... not great as I was expecting my bike back today but nonetheless they are doing everything they can to rectify the mistake.

14. It's a shit situation but unfortunately accidents happen. All you can ask is they sort it out and sounds like they're doing all they can. Hope it all get sorted

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15. Great,so your trip is still on, a good way to put this behind you ,enjoy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. My mate and i must have been lucky then Wayne, having to push to get back for the ferry after my other mates accident, we set off loads of cameras on the way (started to worry about arc eye :))
    Luckily not pulled at the ferry or received any fines, yet.
    p.s. I seemed to notice there is no average distance from the warning sign to the actual camera ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jeez I hope that little lot hasn't got to come out of his wages (and you get your pride and joy back all sorted).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lucky then...:upyeah:
    PS, don't think there is set distance, they seem a bit random distance wise, but at least they warn you.

19. We rode to Spain la manga best part was Andorra to the Spanish coast lovely roads worst part was we booked the long ferry Bilbao to Portsmouth return BORED or what all sat there wishing we had rode to malo for overnight cross doing spainthis year for 10 nights riding all the way, doing overnight ferry from Portsmouth we got 2 night stop over in Marbella

20. Some good advice here so thanks as Im going to Spain for 10days on May 14 on my Multi and a mate on his 1299. First time touring abroad on the bike for both of us.
    Plymouth-Santander. Was going to B&B it but decided to camp whilst in Spain and base ourselves in the Picos (anyone stayed at Camoing La Islas De Picos by chance? Looks ideal for round trips in that area).
    Not set in stone but planning on 3-4 days there then riding back through France to Roscoff for the ferry back. Thinking allowing 2 or 3 night stops for journey back. Thinking B&B rather than camp for this part?
    Any thoughts from anyone thats done this?
    Cant wait!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information