1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph Sprint St1050 Abs - Anybody Got Experience?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by efcbluepete, Oct 26, 2016.

1. So, possible change of work location may mean I need to commute more via motorbike than pushbike, as I currently do.

not going to get the garage queen salted up, so a 2nd bike is a possibility. looking at the sprint st1050 abs as something to use as a commuter. faired, ABS, panniers, heated grips, decent lights and riding position, and ranging between £2k & £2.5k for 2005 to 2007 models.

anybody got any experience with them? what to watch out for, what weaknesses do they have, etc?

I was originally looking at a trail/enduro type bike as something I wouldn't worry about getting filthy and salty, but they seem to hold their value to a point where they seem unreasonably priced (compared with how much you seem to get with one of the triumphs, above).

thoughts/opinions welcomed.

Pete

2. Friend of mine has had a number of them

Only issues have been with the alarm / immobiliser which is a common triumph thing, they're shite!

Other than that it's been spot on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sprag cluthches are a common problem.
    Complete engine rebuild if one disintegrates, worse if it drops into the gearbox because it effectively renders the bike scrap.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I ran one for 4 years, a quick, competent and comfortable bike. Had no issues at all with mine, I added Trident under seat carbon cans which sounded lovely.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I've got an 05 Speed triple (same 1050 engine). As above sprags are a known issue. They tend to go if the battery is weak but they are pretty straight forward to replace although the part itself was about £230 when I replaced mine. If it was going to go I'd expect it to have gone by now though. I think they were upgraded in 2007 but check when/its been done.

The engines are pretty bullet proof. I've had no issues at all with the finish on mine although I do look after it. A good coating of ACF50 will help no end.

Let us know how you get on. I've contemplated one many times....

6. Can I ask why you think you need a thousand + ? Wouldn't something like a later fazer 600 be better as a winter hack. Lighter, will still do 80-90 with no problems and a good all round lightweight.

7. fair question.

the only time I have tried a Fazer 600 is when I was given one as a loaner from Woods of Abergele. it was a horrendous death trap of a bike that was not a pleasant ride at all. OK this is a one off and all fazers should not be tarred with the same brush, and your point was not just related to fazers - I get that.

I used to prefer trail/enduro style bikes for many years, and was looking at that style of bike at 350-600cc range, but the prices are seemingly silly money, and they are the preferred bike of any skanky lid the length & breadth of the country. mid-sized commuters are not as well priced as they really should be, on a bang-for-buck basis. eg a mid-sized commuter 2007 onward would be closer to £2k, so for an extra £500 I can get a 1050cc triple with panniers, heated grips, etc.

so, there goes the logic.

Pete

8. I've had a couple of Triumph Triples. Not big mileages on either but neither let me down in the 6 years of ownership (3 years each). The 2nd bike was a Sprint ST1050 ABS ('06) - nice bike & handles well, but possibly a bit on the heavy side for some.
    I believe that there were various mods beyond the '06 model year that are worthwhile having - slightly higher bars, improved ECU & Sprag clutch.

9. To be honest one of the best sports touring commuters with a real good high build quality is the blackbird. Can buy a 70,000 miler for around £1,300, run it for the winter and then sell it for what you paid for it.

10. change of work location currently on hold, so no need just yet to jump on a commuter through the winter. but the comments and suggestions above all appreciated, thanks. will stick to the pushbike, regardless of last night's puncture on the way home, for getting to the office.

Cheers,

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  11. For your bicycle, upgrade the tyres to schwalbe marathon plus, they run puncture reduction tyres, great grip and reflective sidewall strip. A bit more than standard tyres but not getting a puncture in the dark on the way home makes the extra worth it.

12. had gone 18 months without a puncture, running on Continental Gatorskins, then got a pair of Continental Grand Prix 4000S II 700c Reflective Side Wall, which were described as having good puncture resistant properties and the reflective side walls made me think the slight drop in puncture protection that the gatorskins give will be offset by the extra visibility of the stripes. will see if the Schwalbes are on offer anywhere.

ah well, let's see what the rest of the winter brings (hopefully not so many of the dozy bints that tried to take me out this morning as she was too busy checking her facebook status to use her mirrors and/or put her indicator on to cut across me on a cycle lane)

13. Terrible lights, just dont ride it in the dark.............

Do Not Sell My Personal Information