1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble Refitting Tank.

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Gimlet, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Replaced the fuel filter today and I'm having real trouble getting the tank back on. When I took it off the steering damper arm had been fouling on the front of the tank and worn a flat spot as had the back if the ignition switch bracket.
    On refitting, even when pushed as far forward as possible, the main bolt at the back of the tank under the seat doesn't line up with the hole in the bracket. Its about half the hole out. There's no way I can force it. I loosened the ignition switch bracket and adjusted its position slightly which bought a bit of space and now the tank is so far forward that the steering damper arm won't fit on at all yet still its impossible to get the bolt to line up at the back of the tank.

Is this the dreaded tank swelling issue? I thought that was only a problem in the States where they have a high ethanol content in petrol. There is no deformation of the tank. The fuel pump/filter unit went back in perfectly, the filler cap fits perfectly and there are no leaks or difficulties with the fuel lines. Though I did notice the other day that the left hand handlebar switch block now touches the tank on full lock which it never used to..
    Otherwise I'm beginning to wonder if the bracket on the subframe which the bolt screws into is the wrong one. It doesn't look like the one on the fiche:
    DSC00688.JPG
    If it is the right bracket the only solution I can think of is to chisel/grind off the captive 8 mm nut and elongate the hole.
    Any one else had similar problems?

2. Just had a customer with a Mutley swollen tank here in the UK. He's just ordered a CCW replacement, so it is happening here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. How much do they swell? Do they just keep going till they split or buckle? It isn't leaking. If its stays that way I could just modify the bracket. But if its going to get worse there's not much point. Can't afford a new one....

4. Not sure :(

5. I did the same job on my 848 last weekend and had the same trouble getting the tank back on. It took two of us to get the tank far enough forward to get the bolt back in. I think it's just one those pain in the arse bolts to get back in!

6. Cheers. I hope you're right. I'll have another go later.

7. The tank is definitely swollen - well lengthened anyway. Its not distended but its grown grown in length by about 5 mm. I got it back on but I had to grind down the steering damper bracket arm, adjust the position of the radiator filler cap and drill out and elongate the bolt holes in the carbon key surround. You can see how it doesn't line up with the key barrel any more.
    DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00693.JPG

I'm going to chisel the captive nut off the back of the rear bolt frame bracket and elongate the hole then reattach the nut, but then the seat will be rubbing on the tank and taking the paint off. I'm having the seat recovered anyway because its so slippery against my track leathers, so 5 mm can be trimmed off the foam. The tank is now marked so as I'm keeping the bike as an occasional sunny day scratcher and hopefully an investment eventually, I think its a case of buy a replacement tank - new or unswollen used - and keep it dry on the shelf in case I want to sell.
    Be warned SF owners: these tanks will swell. Use only high octane fuel and keep your fingers crossed. If the front edge of the seat is rubbing off the tank paint, that's your early warning sign.

8. I had my SF tank replaced under warrenty. It hadn't swelled as far as I'm aware, but it did show 2 raised spots on top of it, I believe cause by Ethanol in fuel. I only use BP Ultimate now.

9. I use high octane 95% of the time except when caught short where none is available. A mate has an Aprilia Futura with the same issue and he only uses high octane.
    Annoyingly, replacing the fuel filter, which was why I took the tank off, hasn't solved the problem. The engine is puffing grey, fuel-rich smoke with a lot of vapour continuing to drift out of the exhaust pipes after its been switched off. Watery fuel and a partially blocked fuel filter was a possible cause but now its beginning to look like the dealer who replaced the instrument panel has changed the ECU map when the bike was plugged into the Ducati computer, despite repeated warnings not to touch it.
    Don't know that for sure so won't condemn them just yet but it looks like another trip to uncle Louigi and Chris's dyno. The wheels aren't going to be turning much this year. Feckin Ducatis. Thank goodness for KTM.

10. For reference, most of the high octane fuels (Shell V Power, Total Exellium) contain ethanol. BP Ultimate is ethanol free, so that's what I use. If I'm out and about, I'll put anything in if I know I'm going to go through the tank, but if I know I'm going to leave the bike for a period of time, it's BP only.

3rd paragraph.
    Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 09.22.02.png

#10 Robarano, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 3
  11. No BP garage for miles near me. Typical.
    Useful article here from the TR Triumph car owners club. TR Register Feckin EU again responsible for this....
    They say BP Ultimate is ethanol free except in the south west of England.....:Rage:
    Checked out the Total list and it looks like there's one filling station about 15 miles from me. Maybe I should stock up on Jerry cans..
    Its not easy to drain the tank on the SF either. On the KTMs you just pull the lines off and open the taps. With the Ducati, as usual, its not that simple unless I'm missing something..

12. Well, BP state the Ultime is ethanol free. I don't see why the SW of England would be any different.

13. I will try and find a link to some threads with more detailed content but to clarify, these tanks made from PA6 will swell not only due to ethanol use but also if continually stored in a damp environment and more likely if tank is virtually empty/damp environment. I learnt the hard way with my Elefant tank around 8 years ago but have had problems with several bikes that have stayed outside/unused. One tell-tale sign of this having already occured on a tank is the presence of water blisters on the outside of the tank under the paint - the water has come through the tank material.

14. Spoke to a dealer today. It seems Ducati are still replacing faulty tanks on bikes as old as 2005 so i could be in with a shout of getting it sorted FOC. They said current tanks no longer swell... We shall see. £1400 off the shelf price for a new so if I had to pay for it myself I'd stump up the extra and go aluminium.

15. Keep us updated on a replacement tank under warranty - I'm sure a few others tanks will be going the same way.
    Mine defo wasn't easiest tank to refit.

16. Mine's out of warranty - 2010 bike. Let you know how it goes.

17. My SF tank replaced a couple of weeks ago had swollen in exactly the same place and was touching the steering damper bracket. The new tank fitted has plenty of clearance (for now :()

18. How old was your tank that swelled Rob? The dealer told me Ducati had sorted this problem some time ago and it was just a matter replacing the older tanks as they failed.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information