1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two New Engine Capacities Coming For Ducati Scrambler?

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by El Toro, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Reports have surfaced in the last few days that Ducati has already begun work to expand their Scrambler lineup by way of two new engines – a smaller 500cc model and a larger 1200cc bike. This information has come from both dealer representatives and factory workers in Thailand where Ducati now manufactures a large number of their bikes.
    Update: Further reports have also come from Ducati representatives in France, making the rumor even more likely to be true.
    So far the Ducati Scrambler has been a runaway success, perhaps even more so than Ducati themselves were expecting. Bikes won’t begin to be delivered to most markets until this month but already in the UK alone, more than 1000 Scramblers have been sold and are waiting on delivery. That might not sound like a huge amount but remember, it’s the middle of winter in the United Kingdom at the moment and for all of 2014 Ducati sold a total of 2,742 bikes there – with Scrambler sales alone they could double that figure in 2015.
    It’s no surprise that a smaller capacity Scrambler is in the works though its configuration may raise a few eyebrows. The Scrambler is the perfect platform for attracting new riders, but in Europe, Australia and other markets, licensing restrictions mean that an 800cc machine is a no go whereas a 500cc bike would likely be fine depending on horsepower and weight. The rumor is that Ducati will use a single cylinder air cooled engine rather than just detuning the L-Twin in the current Scrambler. This would however make sense, as it further connects the present with the past. The Scrambler Utah which was released in 1975 was a 350cc thumper that only saw a limited production run.
    At the other end of the scale, a 1200cc Scrambler would also gain a massive following as long Ducati maintained the easy going nature of the bike. It would be safe to assume that Ducati would want a larger capacity Scrambler to also have an air-cooled engine which would necessitate Ducati either resurrecting some previously retired engines, modifying the current Scrambler unit or starting from scratch altogether.
    If the rumors prove true, expect both engine variants to be announced before the end of the year.
    Ducati have been at lengths to emphasize that the Scrambler is a brand unto itself and will no doubt look to capitalize as much as possible on the early success of this retro machine. In addition to engine variants, don’t be surprised to see completely different bikes that trace their roots back to Ducati’s of yesteryear as well, including from what we hear some semi-faired motorycles.

Story courtesy of Two New Engine Capacities Coming for Ducati Scrambler - TheRideAdvice.comTheRideAdvice.com

Read the whole post here.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I'm completely lost for words.......1000 Scramblers sold in the UK already before buyers having a test ride, staggering. :Wideyed:

3. The 500 single should be a real winner IMO, hope this is true.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. That's worldwide? Ducati UK say 200 have been "ordered" in the UK.
    source: Ducati Scrambler review - Telegraph

5. That was before Xmas. May well be a lot more than 200 by now.

6. If they make another 1200 I hope it'll be one that actually has some off-road capability rather than just a styling exercise. A proper adventure bike is lacking in Ducati's line up and its a burgeoning sector. Otherwise a third non-sports 1200 just seems like duplication. A purely road-going 1200 Scrambler has surely got to take sales away from the Monster. Unless they're thinking the 1200 Monster has been a flop and are looking to a possible replacement. Don't know what Monster sales figures are.

#6 Gimlet, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  7. Surely they can insert an updated/enlarged(?) version of the old air cooled Monster 1100 evo lump? I would.

8. Ducati UK registered 2742 bikes in the whole of 2014; it's highly unlikely they've managed to sell 800 Scramblers in a month.

• Like Like x 1
  9. How many Ducati dealers are there in the UK?

10. About 30-40 I think

11. So let's say there are 30. And they have sold 1000 Scramblers. That'd be 33no each on average.

Given the price point and the marketing campaign around the Scrambler then I think that is more than achievable.

In fact I know one dealer that has sold over 60 so far.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I just hope people are too embarrassed to actually ride them. Forlorn hope though I suspect

13. i would have one, but would need it more scramblerized

14. 250 Monster 1200/1200S were sold last year, for a new model that sounds fairly low numbers, they sold more Diavels ! according to How Many Left.

15. I hope they sell tons of the Scramblers,with engine sizes to suit all.I am very happy to see more bums on the Ducati marque.If the bike has been aimed at the hipster/upwwardly mobile trendy,so what.
    We have plenty of Ducati owners who are old/would be old,worrying about there 2 year old belts and their super dooper titanium carbon fibre add ons,ACF50 and there rusting fixings.Not to mention model snobbery and mine is more expensive anf faster than yours.
    Lets get some people riding bikes for fun-just like we used to before we got old.

• Like Like x 3
  16. I suspect there'll be a few on this summers jaunt, Dave :)

17. Including yours just to rub it in his face :)

18. It is a distinct possibility:)

19. I agree. Though they're not for me, I'd rather they sold 1200 Scramblers if that's what buyers want than cling to the 1200 Monster out of misplaced attachment to the Monster name if it isn't selling. (250 unit sounds pretty poor.)
    I do think they got confused with the 1200 Monster. It isn't really a super naked. It doesn't cut it against the opposition in that class, and the smaller lighter more nimble 821 is more in the Monster tradition, though I think neither of the water cooled monsters are much to look at which might not be helping them. But if they bring out a 1200 Scrambler you can bet it'll have the water cooled 1200 engine which may hamper its looks again.
    Am I right that EU emissions regs have killed off the 1100 Evo engine?

20. was at the bike show in Belfast and milsport had four models of scrambler on display and as of dinnertime had orders for six.i thought they were a nice laid back bike you would enjoy throwing on a lid and going for a relaxed run. id have one as a second bike.
    the r1m was stunning .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information