1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Life - Multistrada

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by stooby, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Hi Folks,
    My bike is at the dealer at the moment and they left a voice mail to say that my rear tyre is down to 1mm in the centre. Tyres are the stock Pirelli Scorpion II things that came fitted to the bike.
    I've only done 2300 miles. Is that normal wear for that tyre? It seems somewhat excessive.

Stoob

2. D'oh, just listened to the voicemail again. It's 1.8mm. Still, is that normal wear?

3. Depends how you ride, road surface & what you've been carrying. Seems very low'

4. Most of my miles have been commutes. 52 miles a day on a good country A road (A70 Lang Whang for those who know it). Yes I do like a spirited ride but really, I was expecting the 6k mentioned.

5. Tyre wear is as much dependant on the sort of roads you ride on as your riding style. Lots of miles on straight roads will increase the wear in the centre of the tyre as will heavy acceleration. In the order of 2500 miles on the original tyres does seem to be a bit low but I have heard of cases where the Multi is ridden like a sports bike getting less - me included. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. It has to be said technicans like to spread worry. Much like AA was pushing car drivers to buy new batteries for a while. Take a look at your tyre when you get the bike & evaluate whether you need to make a note on a wall/diary/garage wall to keep checking the wear. But I got the same bollocks from my local dealership. "Ow your tyre is getting down low" ...me: "oh really well, I'm sure I'll be doing another 3-4k before changing it!". He tried to persist but I pointed out the minimum nodule & things went quiet.

7. The BMW car dealer told me my car brake pads were two thirds worn after 6 years, seemed surprised when I said they should be OK for another 2 years then!

8. Well it would seem that it is only the very centre of the tyre that is down to 1.8mm. The rest is 3 or 4mm...so it will do a few more miles yet I think.

9. Metzeler Roadtec 01 HWM; heavy weight motorcycle type not regular version. That's what I will be getting next and no doubt sticking with.

10. Funnily enough I plan to try the roadtecs myself when I have to change.

11. May be a silly question but don't Pirelli own Metzler, and if they do, would they be wasting money on two R&D departments ?

12. Stoob[/QUOTE]
    My Scorpion front did 5k... the back 1k (explosive intrusion on the motorway!) - the replacement Michelin PR4 has now done 6.5k and looks good for another 3k... very good in the wet, great in the dry... excellent tyre IMO :grinning: Front now PR4 too - all good!

13. Replaced the OEM Scorpions F/R last week at 8,000 miles. Very pleased with performance and wear.

14. Thread moved and title changed

15. I got 5k out of my rear scorp 2. About 4.5k out of a scorp 1 rear. I always change pairs so no idea what I could get out of a front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. I find the Multistrada handling to be very sensitive to tyre wear both front and rear and it just becomes unpleasant. Put on a new set and it returns to it's former glory.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. I love the corner entry snaking you get when the middle of the rear gets a bit low. Makes me feel like Sam Lowes, just with 1% of his talent and speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. I find it drops into the turn then you have to hold it up to avoid dropping in further, not nice.
    New tyres and it all becomes neutral, as it should be, again.

19. Pirelli is the parent company as VAG is the parent company for Seat and Skoda. Like Seat and Skoda, Metzeler has it's own identity and direction. Metzeler supports the Super Stock 1000s BSB support racing and road racing hence the Racetech RR and the M7RR. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information