1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Test

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by J biker, Feb 26, 2017.

1. This link may already be here? could not see though;

No idea what the Metzlers are like (only tried m7rr, which I thought were bril but didnt last long).
    Would place Roadsmart 3s above the Road 4s, so maybe his results are ok. Make your own mind up. Might be useful for touring trips/multi 1200 owners.

2. If you like the M7RR but want better mileage, try the Roadtech Z8. Andy

3. May try the z8.
    The KTM comes on Angel GT, so need to get them worn out 1st. Then fit something for this years trip. Suspect Sportsmart 2s (and newer version) that I like will not hold up to 2-3k of Euro abuse on the 1290.
    Tried Angel gt on the MTS. Fine tyres as far as touring goes and they never let go, but neither did they give much confidence.

4. In my long term strategy and finance plan I budgeted for M7RRs despite their limited life. Oddly this time, I managed to shag a front before the rear but I know I push the front quite hard :D. Andy

5. I gave up using Roadsmart 2s on my 990 SMT because I was regularly finding the edge of both the tyre tread and the grip. They have quite a nice profile, just the sporty side of neutral and they're quite good in the wet but poor in the cold because like all Dunlops I've tried they're slow warmers and in cold weather never seem to get there at all.
    They're a good tyre if you're not too enthusiastic but I don't think they'd be adequate on a 1290 GT. I'd be very surprised if you found them an improvement on the Angel GTs.
    I don't like Z8s. I had terrible front end stability problems with them on the SMT and I find the carcase and ride very hard. Long lasting and good straightline grip in the wet but I would think the Metzeler 01s would be a better alternative.

I've got M7RRs on all my bikes now. I love them. I've toured on the SMT with them and still got over 3500 miles from the rear but on the 1290 SDR that's down to 1800 - 2000.

6. I liked the m7rr on the S1000r. But could see visible wear on the rear after one days hard ride on the N260 in Spain. Makes me think it might struggle with our planned 2-2.5k Euro trip, especially with the extra torque. Your 1800-2000 on the SDR would fit in with my expectations.
    Are you talking about Roadsmart 2s and not Sportsmart 2s?
    Tbh I liked the Sports on the MTS and Roads on the GS. Your right, they need a bit heat in them but once warmed up they are rather good, even on damp roads.

7. The Roadtec 01 seems to review well and my local garage love them to bits, both mechanics have them on their own bikes and say they are more sporty than the Z8 but not quite as much as the M7RR while lasting twice as long as the M7.

I had the Z8 on my Street Triple and they were really good, even around Cadwell Park. I will probably go for the Roadtec on the MT-10 as it has seen off the standard Bridgestone S20 rear in 3000 miles with moderate/cold weather riding.
    Metzeler Roadtec 01 Review -

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Yes, my mistake. Misread your post. I was talking about Roadsmarts. The 2016 1290 SDR came with Sportsmart 2s and I changed mine before they were worn out. The front was vague and the rear lacked feel and had the usual Dunlop slow warming issues.
    I switched to M7RRs as I'd been running them on my Streetfighter and really rated them. They are a great improvement over the Sportsmarts on the SDR in terms of outright grip and feel, they last longer and they're far less prone to squaring off.
    M7RRs are now KTM's OE tyres on the 2017 SDR.
    If you're prepared to use Sportsmarts for general riding and touring, you can trust that M7RRs will outperform them in all respects including mileage and wet grip.
    With a bike like the 1290GT you really aren't going to have it both ways. If you want the feel and grip of a sports tyre you're not going to get the mileage of a sports touring tyre.

#8 Gimlet, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  9. @Gimlet
    Agree with you on miles/grip expectations. Will probably have to go for wear for the trip due to miles. Then something a bit more sporty once worn out.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information