1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual Noise From Bike

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Not Carl Fogarty, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Did not put this in the 998 section because it maybe something that has occurred on other Ducatis.

I'm no newbie on the spanners but Ducati (dry clutch/belt are new to me) maybe someone has an idea before I start looking into it, this noise....

When out for a reasonable duration on the 998, bike ran fine but towards to end of the ride.
    I pulled out, lent to the right and as I engaged the clutch and wound it on. I heard a noise similar to clutch thrust bearing on a car, it went very quickly.

I was a little parnoid, I could feel something similar to seizing. Concerned I spun a bearing of something I pulled over straight away. The motor was ticking over perfect and never dropped revs etc. So was not nipping up. It was not making any odd noises. It did not sound internal.

I carried on and the bike was fine. Until I stopped and pulled away from the lights sharpish
    (I wanted to see if was going to happen) same again. I did think it was maybe the weight on a wheel bearing while leaning, or oil starvation, as it was lent over the first time.

The second time it was not leaning. I thought I could perhaps feel it though the forks. I pulled over, wheel spindle had not moved, front wheel felt free, discs were cool.

It did feel like it was front end related or clutch... could be my imagination.
    I pulled away more cautiously, no noise. No noise the rest of the way home, when in traffic etc..

It was quite loud and I would have guessed it was a bearing, rotating metal noise initially.

Not sure if dry clutch can make that kind of noise. I'm thinking if it was belt/bearing related it would have got worse. I don't know how the belt system works yet... not owned the bike long enough to need to do work to it.

I will be having the clutch out and front wheel before I ride it again and when I get time.
    Speedo stopped working on that ride, I don't think from when I installed it, that could cause that noise. Will need a proper look.

It's the furthest I've been on that bike and was faultless for the first couple hours.
    I'm not saying it was heat related but I have to naturally process what occurred.

I know.. how long is a piece of string! but if anyone has any ideas from experience??

I'm 90% it's not the motor and I'm not going to pull that down just to check it.
    Never heard a noise like that from a bike. I can't be sure it was clutch related but it only seemed to happen on pulling away from a stand still between the biting point and fully en-gauged but that could be coincidence.

I will sort it not worried, just thought if someone on here has some ideas from a similar situation, it might save me some time.

I will do the bits I want to, then ride it. As long as the wheels are not going to wobble about I can deal with it... I'd expect the noise to be more constant and get worse as the problem progresses. If the motor lets go, I'd probably put a 999 motor in or a bigger lump.

2. Does it have a slipper clutch?
    Steve

3. Sounds very much like your clutch needs a clean. It is typical for a Ducati dry clutch to sound as if its about to self destruct when giving it a handfull from standstill. Give the steel plates a good clean with brake cleaner, dry tooth brush for the friction plates and vacuum out the shit from inside the clutch basket. Make sure your plates go back in the same sequence, std clutch starts with a steel and alternates with a friction, slipper clutch starts with a friction and alternates with a steel. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I have had a moan/low pitch screech or two from a heavily dusted/dirty clutch, happened on fast pull aways and was easily fixed removing and cleaning the plates. Takes ten minutes to do, don't do the spring post bolts up tighter than a "nip" with a 1/4" drive socket wrench and make sure the pressure plates go back in in the right order with the notches aligned on the pressure plate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. No slipper Steve,

I hope that's what it is Andy. I will give it a good clean up and check it over.
    It's not had the quite clutch mod.

No slipping through the rev's in any gear. I don't know if I was being paranoid but I thought I felt resistance to forward momentum but it was rolling fine. I may have just gone into auto pilot reduced power to listen/feel it. I will have to check a few things but it didn't get worse.. then give it another ride.

6. I'd say it was a screech...that kind of awful sound you here from a car clutch or slipping belt that stops as it pulls away...

7. There is a bearing in the clutch preasure plate that the push rod fits into, iv never heard of one failing but it's worth a look while it's apart.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  8. My clutch makes a noise when pulling away.Especially when done enthusiasticly..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Was the plan. I know the one. I will probably just change it anyway.

10. all of the above plus you will be able to check if clutch centre nut is done up tight during cleaning and checking.

11. I had similar probs with clutch on my 907. It was letting out in 3 stages, jerky and groaning. The plates and basket are pretty notched. I dressed the friction tangs with a file to remove burrs and smoothed the fingers of the basket and it lets out smooth and quiet now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pr do the quiet clutch mod and put a friction in first. A rider of the older persuasion should be along shortly........

• Like Like x 1
  13. "Speedo stopped working" it's a purely mechanical connection if it's become disconnected at the fork bottom and dangling about it would definitely make some strange noises if caught in the moving parts :Wideyed: be more likely to do it if leant over too :Watching: and likely to put you in the hedge :Blackeye: did you route it correctly :Bookworm: should be easy to check.

14. Route is interesting point. I've seen some "loose" and some fit between caliper, somehow. I'm not sure which is right but mine won't fit through caliper brackets.

15. Speedo is not disconnected.

I will probably fit a brand new slipper clutch, it was on the cards anyway.
    I will be looking for one that can take oem clutch plates, what's a recommended recognised brand that works well for these bikes, stm, sigma, evr???

I rather go for something with good reputation, parts and customer service.

#15 Not Carl Fogarty, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  16. Yep dusty dirty clutch. My bike does this after a couple of track days so as has been said a good clean should sort it out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. If you are interested, http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/used-aftermarket-dry-slipper-clutch.40414/#post-720742 give me a shout. Andy

18. If you are interested, http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/used-aftermarket-dry-slipper-clutch.40414/#post-720742 give me a shout. Andy

19. That's good but still it's a hell of a coincidence that it stopped working at the same time and you felt the problem was with the front end, like I said it's purely mechanical so what's failed, it's all gears & rotating stuff so anything thats jammed, rubbing or loose could cause the noise :)

20. Toby do not fear, I am aware of that and will be checking it :smile:

Andy I will probably put a sigma in... will have to do a bit more homework first. Will clean this one up and see what the crack is.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information