1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 V4 Confirmed For 2018/19

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by burndownthediscos, Jan 20, 2017.

1. One of the reasons VW started with the narrow-angle concept in the first place, and have stuck with it, was that it is cheaper and simpler to make.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. D16RR engine
    Panigale chassis
    Im buying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Where do I sign???

4. Another reason they may have adopted it, is that it was already used successfully by Lancia from 1922 right up to 1976 although they never bothered to acknowledge this. The patents had long run out allowing them to develop it further themselves. Autocar carried news of this in an early scoop, so early they decided to try and pass off a Lancia drawing as official VW within the article.

5. Matchless also made narrow-angle engines in the 1930s (Silver Hawk/Arrow), as have other manufacturers. The concept has been knocking around for ever. The recent (but abortive) Horex is another example. There is no indication Ducati plan to go down this route - it was pure speculation on my part.

6. Understood Peter, we are both sticklers when it comes to published accuracy so just recording the fact that Lancia were the first to patent a narrow angle V, certainly long before a Matchless.

In short, many manufacturers toyed with the idea but it was Lancia who became the 1st prolific 'narrow angle' V configuration engine producers, a fact that is still overlooked by many today.

#86 Chris, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
Do Not Sell My Personal Information