1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Check And Adjustments

Discussion in 'Monster' started by avancenajohn, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Hi ladies and gents,

Probably a bit of a no brainer to the experienced but I have only been riding for about 2 years or so. I bought a 08 ducati monster 696 in April 2016, with 12k miles on. I believe that they did valve checks and adjustments in ducati leeds when I bought it as they changed the belts and did a big service.

Anyways, it is due for its service soon and I was wondering if I should get it done then with the service or if theres no point? on the manual it states to do it every 7.5k miles; however, these are guidelines for a bike that is much newer than mine(mines 08)/ with less miles than mine(mines at 19k now).

Please advice as my mate had to have an engine rebuild due to valves not being checked by the people he bought it from(all make dealer that was quite new in the scene).

2. Pretty sure that the 7.5k intervals didn't come until later on when Ducati upped the quality of a bunch of stuff.

Either way, I definitely get the valves checked at this service, you'll be due belts anyway so it'll be a bit cheaper to have the valves done whilst they're halfway there.

Best of all, if you have some ability and some tools, then buy a manual and do the service yourself, it'll be far cheaper! There's loads of helpful advice and articles in here and elsewhere on the web. It's really not that hard if you have some patience and the facilities.

3. thanks for the reply :) i had the valves and belts done when i bought it, back in april 2016. its why im sort of curious

4. Sorry, mis-read your original post, I thought that you'd had it two years.

The original Ducati service schedule was for valve clearance checks every 6k and belts to be replaced every 12k or two years, whichever came first.

Hope this helps.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information